Budd Lake Review

Went out to Budd Lake today for the first time. Was going to try out Lake Hopatcong, drive out just to find that they dropped the water level 15' to work on the docks and ramps all around the lake. (This is why I don't like lake riding!!!)

Anyway, got there and there are two ramps, one on the far end near the beach (owned by a marina) with a fee of $10. There is also another ramp on the opposite side, I have heard it's free, but i'm not 100% sure. Looks like an abandoned house or something. I didn't want to take any chances because lakes aren't like the bay/ocean. The bottom is mainly ROCK in the majority of NJ lakes. Even to bottom out at idle speed you can screw up your hull. So I didn't have a problem with the launch fees in return for some knowledge of the hazards in the lake....

The water isn't crystal clear by any means. The water is almost swampy, but flat like glass. I went riding in early November, and was the only one out. I can't imagine it when there are a few boats out; the lake is pretty small actually. Skis aren't permitted on weekends or holidays for some reason. It will get boring if you don't have a buddy to go with, I was just looking to get out one last time, run the machine and flush out all the salt from the regular season.

Hazards
    the hazards of the lake are clearly marked by white buoys. Two separate areas which are submerged rocks. Not sure how deep they are, but didn't want to take a chance so I stayed far away. Other than that, a few sticks floating here and there but nothing too concerning. I'd say it's a nice ride for an hour or so, not much to really 'explore' but a good place to drag race, and get some speed if you're not really looking to make the trip all the way down to the bay. At WOT you can get from one side to the next in under a minute!

Overall, a good experience, I'd go back just to zip around for an hour or so, but if you have an extended period of time, def hit up the salt, or a larger lake.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mack77 View Post
    Went out to Budd Lake today for the first time. Was going to try out Lake Hopatcong, drive out just to find that they dropped the water level 15' to work on the docks and ramps all around the lake. (This is why I don't like lake riding!!!)

Anyway, got there and there are two ramps, one on the far end near the beach (owned by a marina) with a fee of $10. There is also another ramp on the opposite side, I have heard it's free, but i'm not 100% sure. Looks like an abandoned house or something. I didn't want to take any chances because lakes aren't like the bay/ocean. The bottom is mainly ROCK in the majority of NJ lakes. Even to bottom out at idle speed you can screw up your hull. So I didn't have a problem with the launch fees in return for some knowledge of the hazards in the lake....

The water isn't crystal clear by any means. The water is almost swampy, but flat like glass. I went riding in early November, and was the only one out. I can't imagine it when there are a few boats out; the lake is pretty small actually. Skis aren't permitted on weekends or holidays for some reason. It will get boring if you don't have a buddy to go with, I was just looking to get out one last time, run the machine and flush out all the salt from the regular season.

Hazards the hazards of the lake are clearly marked by white buoys. Two separate areas which are submerged rocks. Not sure how deep they are, but didn't want to take a chance so I stayed far away. Other than that, a few sticks floating here and there but nothing too concerning. I'd say it's a nice ride for an hour or so, not much to really 'explore' but a good place to drag race, and get some speed if you're not really looking to make the trip all the way down to the bay. At WOT you can get from one side to the next in under a minute!

Overall, a good experience, I'd go back just to zip around for an hour or so, but if you have an extended period of time, def hit up the salt, or a larger lake.
    Cool... Thanks for the info

+1
    I went riding up at Lake Hopatcong this summer it was nothing special. Road around the entire Lake in a matter of an hour. They have speed limits there i think on weekends and holidays. From my experience i would rather go down to barnegat or the raritan any day.

i prefer the ocean. bay any day over a lake but i make trips to greenwood lake all the time because im like 15 mins away.

Quote Originally Posted by Mack77 View Post

Hazards the hazards of the lake are clearly marked by white buoys. Two separate areas which are submerged rocks. Not sure how deep they are, but didn't want to take a chance so I stayed far away. Other than that, a few sticks floating here and there but nothing too concerning. I'd say it's a nice ride for an hour or so, not much to really 'explore' but a good place to drag race, and get some speed if you're not really looking to make the trip all the way down to the bay. At WOT you can get from one side to the next in under a minute!

Mack
    Thanks for the review. My bad on scaring you away from the cold here. We went out today and it was beautiful. Water temps are still high.
    Inlet was awesome and water tabe for the swamps was back to normal.
    Doing it again Friday and Sunday..

cheatin' piston popper addicted's Avatar
    +1
    Budd lake is good for testing and tuning, but it's really, really small. Never been to hopatcong, but hopefully next year. I have a place on greenwood lake. that's pretty much 1/2 way in size between budd and hop.

GWL has a 45mph speed limit & no PWC specific restrictions, however we are graced with tons of USCG auxiliary and passaic county sherrifs.

Quote Originally Posted by addicted View Post
    Budd lake is good for testing and tuning, but it's really, really small. Never been to hopatcong, but hopefully next year. I have a place on greenwood lake. that's pretty much 1/2 way in size between budd and hop.

GWL has a 45mph speed limit & no PWC specific restrictions, however we are graced with tons of USCG auxiliary and passaic county sherrifs.

just ride with me lol i know all the sheriffs and if your out on weekdays there not out, only weekends.

cheatin' piston popper addicted's Avatar
    +1
    I've never had a problem with any of them. I'm all legit. I just hate police presence. . . and the fact that my tax dollars are paying for that ridiculous Baywatch wanna be boat.

lol.

Thread Information