Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 1300 pistons...

1300 pistons...

Well, Lowell just emailed me with some shitty news...

My boat with only 45hours on it needs new pistons??? He says they're at 8-9 thousanths (sp) and should be near 4 new and run arond 6-7...

Anyone chime with thoughts, comments, whatever. This is the first time I've gone this deep into an engine. I'm starting to think it was a mistake and it's going to cost A LOT more then I antisipated...

I'm not a very happy camper right now! What losses can the extra clealance cause me?

bro dont feel bad i went thru the same thing at 18hrs and im sure im not the only one.
    i know it sucks i remember when i was taking my parts off to send to kerry to do the package... i did not plane on hearing bad news myself then Nnado tells me my crank is bad ohh and my #1 piston is shot ohhh and my cylinder is shot what else was there hummmm i cant remember right now
    if you can help it go back with all new parts and you will be a happy camper

good luck bro

I got mixed feelings about this. All of the GPR pistons including the 1200 feel very loose after some hours, Jims 1300 have over 300 hours of use in his ski. You figure the rest out!!!!!

Re: 1300 pistons...

Quote Originally Posted by RXPkiller
    ...it's going to cost A LOT more then I antisipated...
    I know the feeling!! When I went BB found out that 2 of my cylinders were not going to work. Also, when you get the engine back together, make sure you take your time breaking it in.

Hey RXPKILLER I just went thru the same thing with Lowell. He told me i got the pistons to hot looked like a lean condition. I understand your pain as well.

+1
    8-9 thousandths is wayyyy too much clearance, listen to the machinist he knows what he is doing.

On a side note, many of those who are having issues with burning up pistons are suffering the same issue without even realizing it imo. Once that clearance gets beyond recommended specs, the piston will act like a anemic crack addict and eventually tear itself apart. I suggest that anytime you have your heads off the cylinders check clearances and tolerances. It's cheaper to get a new piston than to re-build an entire crank, cylinder and piston.

That $150 spent on a new piston could save your entire engine. The key is to learn how to measure your own ring end and piston clearances, there are plenty of instructive materials to walk you through the process.

KILLER..bite the bullet and do it right, you will be grateful in the end, I know it is a surprise when you start with a not-so-perfect set-up and have to spend more than you budgeted for..but it will be worth it.

Mike back in 2000 my mechanic replace all of my pistons after 30 hours in my ski when the cat con went out because they were too loose. I belive that this is just the nature of the beast. My 1300 pistons were also .009 too loose with only 20 hours.........GO FIGURE

I NEVER....EVER HEARD ANY PISTON SLAP WITH MY .009 CLEARANCE OEM PISTONS.... I HEAR THE PISTON SLAP RATTLING EVERY TIME WITH MY 87 MM .007 CLEARANCE WISECO'S. ...EXPLAIN THIS TO ME!!!

+1
    I hate to hear that Scott - just bite the bullet and trust him. I know that it hurts, but i have to say go with the pro's thoughts.

+1
    How many thousand are your pistons shrinking.

If you take a used piston and bore new cylinders to fit that piston will it shrink again when you run it.

Seems that pistons collapse quickly,is it break in releated.

Cylinders grow and pistons shrink is there a point pistons stop shrinking.

+1
    No way dude. You don't need pistons. I think some problems are due to
    the way the person checks the clearence. I set up my Seadoo at .007 clearence new. I run them way past .009 clearence with no problems and there is no sign of piston slap. There is still no loss in compression and very little difference in peak rpm. And this is a piston that only has 1 single ring. I will run my crap until it blows, until you have actually went out and tested your setup for many hours with no problems, I don't think anyone could be able to tell you different. If anyone sets a new motor up at .004 clearence they better take it very easy for many hours to come. I like .065 to .070 new on most modified motors that are going to be ran hard.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information