Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Ski testing before buy

has anyone every bought a ski without water testing it? i have found a decent deal on a ski 97 gsx with rebuilt motor and just under 50 hrs on motor. it is winterized as of right now though. he said he can start it but once water goes through and rinses out all the radiator fluid, it is no longer winterized. Again, not knowing much about skis, is this true? Also what do you think about buying a ski with no water testing??? Thanks again to everyone, you guys have been great in helping me!!!!

+1
    No way would I do it on an older ski like that. It is true on the antifreeze.

Any ski that I can't water test I assume will have issues right off the bat of one kind or another. So keep that in mind.

Never trust a seller anymore, especially outside the PWC community.

Always beware of:

"just needs a battery"
    "just needs a starter"
    "just needs the carbs cleaned"

Quote Originally Posted by javiert99 View Post
    Any ski that I can't water test I assume will have issues right off the bat of one kind or another. So keep that in mind.

Never trust a seller anymore, especially outside the PWC community.

Always beware of:

"just needs a battery"
    "just needs a starter"
    "just needs the carbs cleaned"

He is spot on with those quotes. You happen to hear them pretty often in the boating community in general. If he wants to sell the watercraft and isn't hiding anything he will let you test drive it.

he said he would let me ride it however if i didnt buy then he would want $125 to have it winterized again.

i found a 97 gti i maybe interested in. wants 1800 (prob neg. (what should I offer?)) for it, including trailer. guy has a shop that does maintenance on skis as well as stores them. rebuilt 720 motor and new carb. said he can put it in tank for testing. compressin is a little low. 131 on #1 adn 133 on #2. said that would go up once motor gets broken in. any input on this?

Compression is 20lbs low on both cylinders on that GTI. Could be the gauge though since they sound even. Try the gauge against a known good ski, or at least another gauge. If it's 20lbs low, stay away, that ski needs a top end and you're paying too much for it.

As for the GSX, if you like it and are sure you are going to buy it if it runs good. Test ride it. Tell the owner.. I have cash in hand, if it rides correctly, I will buy it. If he knows it will ride fine he should have no problem and winterizing it should not be an issue. If it doesn't ride OK, then it's his problem to rewinterize, not yours. Just make sure you're committed to buy it if it rides correctly.

+1
    I would stay away from it...9 out of 10 times if they wont let you ride it somethings wrong. I've had experience with that, my first seadoo that i ever bought i got ripped off on, it was a 90 sp, was told all it needed was a new battery...i bought it with out trying it out first, ended up needing a new stator and electrical work...id say stay away from it, to me if i had it winterizied already and i was selling it the $125 to rewinterize it if no one purchases is a small fee to pay if i could otherwise get rid of it. My last seadoo i bought i didn't take it on the water, it was expensive and luckily it works great.

Is he correct in saying the compression will rise to where it should be once it is broke in? He said that the motor and carbs were rebuilt and there is not even an hour of run time on them. I called him over lunch and is willing to take them out on sat and or put them in the water tank he has at the shop. seemed legit?!! Also told me that he has a 96 gsx with a new top end. he said he would do 1500 for each ski and 500 for the trailer. Not sure if he would negotiate the 3500 or not? Also said he wanted cash, which is fine, but maybe I could get them for 3K??? Any comments? Thanks guys for your continued help and support!

Quote Originally Posted by hunter0527 View Post
    Is he correct in saying the compression will rise to where it should be once it is broke in? He said that the motor and carbs were rebuilt and there is not even an hour of run time on them. I called him over lunch and is willing to take them out on sat and or put them in the water tank he has at the shop. seemed legit?!! Also told me that he has a 96 gsx with a new top end. he said he would do 1500 for each ski and 500 for the trailer. Not sure if he would negotiate the 3500 or not? Also said he wanted cash, which is fine, but maybe I could get them for 3K??? Any comments? Thanks guys for your continued help and support!
    Compression will rise a couple lbs.. but not 20lbs. So no, he's not right in that.

If im not mistaken compression should be about 150? what are the consequences if it is at 130? what does this mean in the long run?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information