Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

My first with a Muzzleloader

The screaming for a glass of milk caused by the two huge bowls of slow cooked ham&bean soup that I had for supper last night, woke me at 4:30 this morning. I rolled back over and dealt with it. At 5:15 I got up, one of the dogs figured it was a good time to start the day so I grabbed the spot light and went on outside. I lit up a line of does spread out across the pasture heading for the neighbors. As I was panning down the line I kept on going....just see how many there were, I noticed the eyes of a straggler picking it's way through the tree line to the north, looking to catch up with the rest.

I figured what the heck....the wind was slight...outa the west...clear sky...gonna be a beautiful day. I went back inside, had a bowl of Cheerios to settle my stomach, made some coffee, and put on my gear. As I was climbing the stairs the mrs asked if I would feed the dogs for her. I said, "Nope...gotta go...I'll be out back...have a nice day...I love ya, babe." I grabbed my coffee cup and out the door.

As I rounded the garage I heard the door open...the mrs was grabbing the bowls...and letting the dogs out...damn....They heard me hit the leaves on the fence line behind the garage and set to barking....great..thanks alot babe...grumble.

With my muzzleloader slung on my right shoulder....hotseat and coffee in my left I slowly climbed the stand. As I got to the top I set the cup down...turned, sat, lowered the shooting rest...then attached my harness. With the rifle set down between my feet, barrel leaning against the rest I slowly took a sip of some coffee...this is kinda nice...I've never brought coffee before....and then looked to my right. Son!....30yds at my 5 o'clock...deer...just light enough to see....yep...buck. Now what do I do?

He came on at a slow walk...not in a hurry...definately preoccupied. He stopped at my 3 o'clock ten yards away...I still hadn't moved...holding my coffee in my right hand...gun standing between feet. He pawed at the ground a bit then walked toward my front....took a left behind some scrub pine on the fence line. I slowly put down my cup behind me on the seat and brought the ML to bear where I'd hoped to see him re-imerge from the pines. I could hear him walking around in there...hoping he wouldn't cross onto the neighbors....I have permission...but it's thick in there.

Right there at my feet...5 yards in front of me. I look through the scope...like I really needed toBOOM! He set back and takes off at a dead run straight down the hill....I know I hit him...how could I miss?. He gets to the far tree line and I hear him crash...then crash again...then silence.

A coupla does pop back up over the top of the hill to see what's up. I don't want to give myself away so I wait...and wait....then couldn't wait anymore. They take off as I check around for a blood trail...none...I head to the house to get Black Dog. The rest wanted to go too but I didn't need a circus. When I got back I still couldn't find any blood. Black Dog sniffed around a bit then we headed over the hill in the dirrection the buck headed. I didn't really need the dog....just headed for the biggest break in the brush and saw him layed out about twenty yards in...70 yards total from the stand.

Not bad I thought....2 minutes in the stand and a 9 pointer is on the ground....I could get spoiled this way.

It's not as big most of y'alls...but it's the biggest I've ever taken. 9 point, dressed out at 165lbs.

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    Very nice.......I have hunted quite a bit this year and havent seen a good shooter yet, hope that changes next weekend, me and a buddy of mine are heading to Missouri to meet up with Dan (JD 1) and try to take a Missouri bruiser, yeah it isnt always that easy, but it sure is nice when it happens .........Congrats............

The ski's have taken a "backseat" to the Corvette DarthAWM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultra250 Tn View Post
    Very nice.......I have hunted quite a bit this year and havent seen a good shooter yet, hope that changes next weekend, me and a buddy of mine are heading to Missouri to meet up with Dan (JD 1) and try to take a Missouri bruiser, yeah it isnt always that easy, but it sure is nice when it happens .........Congrats............
    What is the cost to hunt in MO?

+1
    im getting soo pumped for our rifle deer season that starts in two weeks...just went out this afternoon to put up the stand...

Quote Originally Posted by DarthAWM View Post
    What is the cost to hunt in MO?
    http://mdc.mo.gov/regs/permits.htm

Nonresident Firearms Any-Deer Hunting $175

Nice buck Va!

Quote Originally Posted by gorilla03 View Post
    im getting soo pumped for our rifle deer season
    +1. I don't hunt but my dad does. I'm excited for the venison!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by RXP-REX View Post
    Nice buck Va!

+1. I don't hunt but my dad does. I'm excited for the venison!
    between my dads buck he got last year and my uncles...we came home with about 3 paperbags full of venison steaks,chops,and strips. venison is soooo good

Quote Originally Posted by gorilla03 View Post
    between my dads buck he got last year and my uncles...we came home with about 3 paperbags full of venison steaks,chops,and strips. venison is soooo good
    Get some of it made up into beef sticks. Giant slim jims!!! Preferably spicy. With club or ritz crackers it's like the best snack EVER!!!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by RXP-REX View Post
    Get some of it made up into beef sticks. Giant slim jims!!! Preferably spicy. With club or ritz crackers it's like the best snack EVER!!!
    o yeah...we did about half for hot dogs sausage and sausage sticks...we would've done the whole thing but it would dissapear real fast haha...

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra250 Tn View Post
    Thanks, guys.

Someday I'll get out west for a shot a bruiser.

I've been hunting this area for 5 years now. In all that time this is the third largest buck that I've seen around. Here's my back yard and where my stand(red dot) is located.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information