Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

96 xp mod list for winter project - thoughts?

I bought a 96 xp hull only to build up this winter. This will be my second build and on this one i would like to do a little moding with the build. I looked into doing a 951 swap but i don't think that is where i want to go right now.

Here is my list of the build:

- Bore engine 1mm over with pistons ect.
    - XO prop
    - 85-88 nozzle
    - R&D intake grate
    - Fly's intake
    - Spec II factory pipe - not sure about this one yet?

I want to keep the ski reliable (which is why i have no heads). What problems am i looking at or which mods am i missing? Carbs?

I would like to take this ski into the low 60s? Is this possible without heads and higher octane?

Thanks for the input,
    Dean

If you know of other sites or post that already answer this, please point me that way. I haven't seen too many post about this list...
    Spec II Factory pipe (FPP)

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanrw3 View Post
    I bought a 96 xp hull only to build up this winter. This will be my second build and on this one i would like to do a little moding with the build. I looked into doing a 951 swap but i don't think that is where i want to go right now.

Here is my list of the build:

- Bore engine 1mm over with pistons ect.
    - XO prop
    - 85-88 nozzle
    - R&D intake grate
    - Fly's intake
    - Spec II factory pipe - not sure about this one yet?

I want to keep the ski reliable (which is why i have no heads). What problems am i looking at or which mods am i missing? Carbs?

I would like to take this ski into the low 60s? Is this possible without heads and higher octane?

Thanks for the input,
    Dean

If you know of other sites or post that already answer this, please point me that way. I haven't seen too many post about this list...

i've gotta jet dynamics intake grate and a adjust a thrust for sale to add to you mod list if interested. I think that you should be able to get into the low 60's with out a head....but then the reliability with a head will drastically go down....

+1
    I'll be watching all of the winter builds, yours included. I'm doing a 951 conversion myself. Nothing extreme, mostly stock engine. I was wondering why you decided not to do one too?

gorilla03
    i've gotta jet dynamics intake grate and a adjust a thrust for sale to add to you mod list if interested. I think that you should be able to get into the low 60's with out a head....but then the reliability with a head will drastically go down....
    Thanks i will keep that in mind.

Ziggy I'll be watching all of the winter builds, yours included. I'm doing a 951 conversion myself. Nothing extreme, mostly stock engine. I was wondering why you decided not to do one too?
    You know, I am not 100% sure on not doing the conversion yet because i haven't bought any parts yet. I wanted to see what my mod list could do compared to the 951 conversion.

Couple reasons i am going towards a modded 787:

-I am worried about glassing in the motor mount that is in a different position, and getting the motor to line up right with the pump.

- From what i understand the 951 pump does not fit into the xp hull, so not sure how to get around that.

- the exhaust has to be modified...

- 951 not as reliable as 787 plus more parts it seems like
    - 951 parts are more expensive (however on the time i buy mods it might be close)

How are you getting around these problems? I want to make sure i have time for this build which is why i was leaning towards the 787.

Down deep...I really want to do the 951 stock motor.... Maybe i need more research on how to correct the above problems and that will give me some confidence.

thanks,
    dean

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    With no head, pump wedge, and a grate, you should be able to get 63-64 no problem. You will still need to run 93 octane though.

I prefer a 920 mod over adding a 951. The added weight of the 951 makes a significant difference in the hull balance and handling.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 96XPSS View Post
    The added weight of the 951 makes a significant difference in the hull balance and handling.
    These were issues I was wrestling with when I first thought about what I was going to do with my XP. I was concerned about the added weight & higher C/G of the 951, but every response I got when I posted about it was very positive towards the 951 conversion. I have most, if not all of the parts to do it, as well as a good 780 engine to sell to help pay for it, but no 920 stuff at all. Soooo all that being said, I'm still going through with it because, well, I think it'll be fun. I've got some ideas on the exhaust, pump, & mounts which I'll share once I'm happy with the results.

As far a reliability goes, if you keep the water out and the pipe tight, the engine is solid.

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    These were issues I was wrestling with when I first thought about what I was going to do with my XP. I was concerned about the added weight & higher C/G of the 951, but every response I got when I posted about it was very positive towards the 951 conversion. I have most, if not all of the parts to do it, as well as a good 780 engine to sell to help pay for it, but no 920 stuff at all. Soooo all that being said, I'm still going through with it because, well, I think it'll be fun. I've got some ideas on the exhaust, pump, & mounts which I'll share once I'm happy with the results.

As far a reliability goes, if you keep the water out and the pipe tight, the engine is solid.
    I agree with you 100% Zig. Un-piped 951's are just as reliable as 800's. Let me know how she handles when you get her done.

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    heres what i got going on... see my signature.

How much for the adjust a thrust please?

+1
    951! 951! 951!

I'm going to need moral support this winter, so come on guys, convert!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information