Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Cold Seizure

Cold Seizure

Went out last weekend to break in the engine. It was cold and the water temp was 37 degrees. Kept the RPM's a little high too long and this is what happened. Got a new piston and cylinder from Group k and should be finished later today.

I might wait until the water temps get warmer before I start the break in again.

Lesson learned.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	piston3_2_149.jpg 
Views:	253 
Size:	106.4 KB 
ID:	5467   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	piston3_4_910.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	162.8 KB 
ID:	5468   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cylinder3_3_164.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	106.9 KB 
ID:	5469   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cylinder3_6_137.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	97.2 KB 
ID:	5470   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cylinder3_1_978.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	121.4 KB 
ID:	5471  

dam that sux raffi, first time out huh - so im curious as to what im looking at? is that all massiv blow-by cuz the piston/rings couldnt heat up? first time out on my ski was in really cold water, not sure about the temp though, lucky nothing went wrong. I allways wondered if cold water riding could pose a problem...

+1
    Gawl dern!!!! That sucks. I feel for ya.

+1
    You know, Fernando and I have talked about this a lot - it's something we kind of experience almost every time we ride, cold or warm. Every single time we fire up our skis, and no matter how long we warm them up, the first couple of top speed runs almost always have to be aborted due to a drop in rpm. I have no idea why it occurrs, but have theories. Most likely culprit is air in the fuel lines from the gas slowly draining out of the lines and going back into the tank.

I wonder if this had a part in what happened to you. The only way we've been able to somewhat prevent it is to do extended warm ups, but not just at idle. We run about 1/2 to 3/4 throttle too, and it seems to help. Anybody else experience this?

Yup..........here in Indiana where our first runs of the season can be in 40-50 degree water........an extended warm up is necessary.....not just idling around but 1/3 - 3/4 blips to make sure she is warmed up for several minutes. The pisser out the back behind the seat that TJ installed for me is VERY helpful for this since it gives you a chance to actually feel the water temp via your bare hand. Once it feels pretty hot/very warm.....you're good to go. Anything that still feels cool or luke warm coming out of that pisser......give yourself some more warm-up time. As a rule of thumb......giving yourself a good 5+ minute warm up year round is a good measure to take...........right off the "rack" and pinning it is just askin' for trouble.

As far as the loss in RPM's on the first few runs..........this happens on all ski's and you will get varied loss of RPM on your initial full throttle runs due heat soak. Keep in mind FULL heat-soak is not usually happening until you run FULL throttle......this FULL throttle then builds your FULL heat-soak which takes little time to develop vs the time it takes to then dissipate. How fast this heat soak happens can also vary on alot of variables such as octane level in your gas, air temp, water temp, weight of fuel and rider that creates torque pull on the motor, tight or loose engine tolerances, etc, etc. It has been my experience that a properly tuned boat will not lose more than 50-80 RPM after the first intial pulls. If you are losing 100-150-200+ RPMs after your initial pulls and heat soak has set in.......and you can see it rapidly happening on your tach as you are pinning it across the water.......back off immidiately..........the higher the loss..........the likelier you are having issues.

Radar/GPS tip........best two runs of the day are usually your first two runs of the day before "heat-soak" takes it's toll on every motor.

My .02 cents on this.

+1
    Wiseco pistons?
    Number 3 cylinder?

Quote Originally Posted by hydrotoys
    Wiseco pistons?
    Number 3 cylinder?
    Wiseco piston and #3 cylinder.

I also noticed a 'mustard' colored residue on the exaust and manifold. Looked like water contamination. I checked the manifold and head gasket but could not determine where it was coming from.

I'm using 1211 on the cylinder/exaust/head gasket this time to make sure everything is sealed up.

If you have seen this mustard residue, please post what your findings were.

+1
    usually water and oil mix makes a milky white substance. Never seen mustard color.

Was the mustard on your plug too?

Quote Originally Posted by Insanediego-gpr
    usually water and oil mix makes a milky white substance. Never seen mustard color.

Was the mustard on your plug too?
    not on the plugs. i did notice a little of the residue also on the head area, where the squish area is located.

i'll take pictures later and post them.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information