Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

Bulletproofing the RXP (delam discussion)

Guys, my Dad and best friend both sustained severe injuries to the neck and spine. My dad broke several vertebra, but mostly recovered, while my friend is paralyzed. Reading about rxpdoo's crash and some others, makes me want to make top speed testing as safe as possible on my ski.

So far, I've come up with this to make things safer:
    - High speed life vest
    - MX helmet
    - EVS RC-Evolution neck brace
    - Install R&D grate girdle
    - Drill holes in rear of grate

The only thing that concerns me is a hull delam at high speed.

First of all, everyone should understand that EVERY RXP hull is already delaminated. ...at least every one that I've seen. While doing surgery on one of mine, I had to cut out a section of hull and found that there is a layer of glass cloth right in the middle of the thickness of the hull that has no resin in it. I once read that you can tap the glass with a screwdriver handle. It makes a "knock" sound if the glass is fully laminated and a "thud" sound if it's not solid. Doing that reveals the extent of the delam on the hull, and it's pretty sad.

All the solutions I've seen address the stress applied by the "feet" under the tank. Though this addresses the high stresses that sometimes lead to a total failure, it does not address the root cause of the problem. So, the total failure can still occur.

I've been kicking around ideas to fix the problem and wanted to see if anyone else had any ideas. Hopefully someone around here has more expertise with glass work than me. Here are my brainstorms:

1. Cut sections of the outter half of the hull out. Apply resin and stick them back on.

2. Drill holes into the space between the delaminated halves. Pump resin into the holes, forcing it into the delamination. This would require drilling and tapping some holes, while drilling some other "vent holes".

3. ??? other ideas ???

Mike

+1
    Sorry about your dad and best friend! How did it happen? Sounds bad forsure! Gods speed!

+1
    OMG !! dude,,,,,,my prayers are out for your dad for a speedy recovery and your friend as well. when did this happen? How? speed?

+1
    http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...ll+feet&page=2

it looks as there is opportunity for improvement where the "feet" are positioned as Hydrotoys mentioned

+1
    Mike sorry to hear about your dad and best friend, thats horrible

+1
    In reading over Mike's post a few times, I get the impression that his father's and friend's injuries did not result from riding skis. Either way, I'm sorry to hear they have experienced these terrible incidents. This is a good discussion to have. It seems like one of the only major problems with the RXP.

+1
    mike, the mx helmet has a shield that is used in racing mx and waterx to deflect spray from other boats in the race.

I think i am the only person on the planet that thinks you should not use the shield for high speed testing. If you go in, the shield will catch water and pull your head/neck in some falls. Use a good snell rated helmet, light wt, replaceable liner, imo. But i'm the only one who feels that way.

sorry to hear about your dad and friend...how did they do it?

+1
    Most people take the shield off.

+1
    JFizzle is right. They were both injured on dirt bikes. My Dad lost control of his KTM 300 and hit a tree at high speed. My friend (an AA rider in the Texas offroad series) landed exactly upside down on a large triple jump. Neither were on PWC's, but I really don't think we are any safer. Percentage-wise, folks going over 85 mph on PWC's have a very high rate of injury. Plus, we have the disadvantage of drowning if we're knocked out or disabled in a wreck.

BTW, I posted pictures a few months ago of my paralyzed friend riding one of my RXP's. He doesn't let the injury slow him down. He's also competed in an offroad dirtbike race on a modified bike.

i was always told the shield was designed to break of

sorry to hear the terrible news

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information