Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Greenhulk Grasshopah (DRC) HallPass's Avatar
    +1

Any attended UTI Marine college?

Just out of curiosity.. my mom told me to google it, and saw that it was it's a mechanics school and that they have a Marine institute..

anyone gone there? Heard anything pros/cons?

Thanks..

100 MILES OF HEAVEN AND I AM SMACK IN THE MIDDLE KEYZBUM's Avatar
    +1
    if you are evan looking at this you should look into vo-tech training at school
    you might be the guy on "the little bus" for 1/2 a day going to some other towns "training center" but its WELL WORTH IT
    hours of hands on stuff ,,,,
    ok back to marine college ,,I did the A.M.I in daytona (sold to wyo teck i think)
    was great and bad at the same time
    school ROCKED
    trying to learn in a town that every town in america sends there horny drunks to, did not make it any easier but it did make it fun and very educating
    it was funny when ,at the time there was a spot at R&D (and i think PJS)on the "jobs board" for the course leaders,,but if you called them and they determined you could tell what part was what,they would hire (not top pay) on the spot ,that way they trained you the way THEY wanted
    i say GO FOR IT , always good to write "Certified xxxxxx" on a job app
    mattman

+1
    For hands on I/you should look into [email protected] as in aircraft.. Very rewarding and you will have skills beyond what you thought is main stream.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by KEYZBUM View Post
    if you are evan looking at this you should look into vo-tech training at school
    you might be the guy on "the little bus" for 1/2 a day going to some other towns "training center" but its WELL WORTH IT
    hours of hands on stuff ,,,,
    ok back to marine college ,,I did the A.M.I in daytona (sold to wyo teck i think)
    was great and bad at the same time
    school ROCKED
    trying to learn in a town that every town in america sends there horny drunks to, did not make it any easier but it did make it fun and very educating
    it was funny when ,at the time there was a spot at R&D (and i think PJS)on the "jobs board" for the course leaders,,but if you called them and they determined you could tell what part was what,they would hire (not top pay) on the spot ,that way they trained you the way THEY wanted
    i say GO FOR IT , always good to write "Certified xxxxxx" on a job app
    mattman
    that's not bad

yeah, I mean I have 3 1/2 years till I have to decide.. but I go to a college prep school, and a big philosophy of the school is to prepare for college (duh) and to look ahead into the future..

Quote Originally Posted by beerdart View Post
    For hands on I/you should look into [email protected] as in aircraft.. Very rewarding and you will have skills beyond what you thought is main stream.
    Alright, thanks!

Yeah, Ideally I would like to get some type of degree in some sort of mechanics at one school, then go to another school/college and get a degree in business..

then I would have 2 great degrees, and would have a wide range of things to do.

+1
    I'm a graduate of UTI in Automotive Technology.... class of 89.... were you born yet?

Anyway, that's how i got my mechanical back ground. WFO here on the forum is also a graduate of UTI.

Its a great school but my advice Mr. Hallpass..... go to REAL college. Lot's more girls there

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Hulk View Post
    I'm a graduate of UTI in Automotive Technology.... class of 89.... were you born yet?

Anyway, that's how i got my mechanical back ground. WFO here on the forum is also a graduate of UTI.

Its a great school but my advice Mr. Hallpass..... go to REAL college. Lot's more girls there

You mean, college with a bunch of guys all day isn't a college dream

How long did it take to graduate?

as said I'm wanting to go through like UTI or something, and then go to another college for business (im sure there is about a 90% of this idea changing.. but if you guys recall I made a thread a LONG time ago saying I wanted to own my own jet ski dealer and its been about a year) go to business.. and go whereever the wind takes me

+1
    From what i remember it was an 18 month course and just as expensive as "real" college was.

Like i said, it was a great school and a real good experience for me. I was big into cars right out of high school and wanted to learn more about them.... wasn't really ready for college and thought this would be a good thing for me.

I spent a ton of money on the course, graduated, but never did put what i learned to use in the automotive field. I'm glad i went though as what i learned there has taken me a long way in the hobby i enjoy today. "Jet Skis"

+1
    I think your money and time spent would be better in the aviation world as an A&P mechanic... aircraft will always be flying & needed maintance... no matter where you are... no matter what season...

Plus the fab work and knowledge you gain there could be applied to pretty much any where. They junior college in my town ( Fort Worth TX) had a course to where your senior year in highschool you could start on your A&P degree (2 years)... then you could transfer into a mainstream school to finish with a business degree... which would open more doors.

Not knocking trade schools, just trying to offer some advice...

Go to college Bro. WHATEVER your doing make sure its aiming at a college degree, at least a bachelors. I like working on cars and was considering uti but my parents wanted me to get a college degree i lucked out because Southern Illinois has a Automotive Technology program where you can get a bachelors in it and is consider second to none. We just had a advisory meetings with SIU auto tech alum and the jobs some of these guys have are rediculous. The main guy in charge of Toyota Motors USA is SIU alum and bassically throws money at our program.

A bachelors right now will set you apart from everyone, but latley it seems like everyones looking at masters degrees. Pretty soon a bachelors is gona be considered as good as an associates, which is a joke.

+1
    My [email protected] school was 2 years then I went for my electronic degree. Moved to CA for some practical experiences on some aircraft. Very rewarding. I saw and worked on some of the worlds best flying machines ever built.(Edwards AFB clearance) What ever path you chose stick with in and you will be rewarded. There are lots of strange things flying around the Mojave Desert.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information