GP1300R 2006 acceleration problem???

hi guy's new to jetskiing and bought a 2006 gp1300r about 3 weeks ago the ski is in preety good condition and has only done 30hrs so is relatively low hrs. i've noticed on heavy load the engine is like missing or popping???? if just idling along then accelerate hard it has this pop,pop sound with the ski shaking (vibrating) briefly until on the plane then there's no problem. you can be cruising at say 20mph then nail it a it goes just fine no problems (i've only been brave enough to get to 55mph) but if you flick spin it and try to take off in the opposite direction i notice the ski making this popping noise, and low on power it is only brief once on the plane it doesn't do it. it's sort of like it hitting a rev limiter or something(does this model have that feature?) any help would be great guy's buy the way i've taken off the in take grate nothing up in there or in the jet pipe either and the plug's are only 3hrs old so should be ok i've looked at them and they look ok not fouled up or anything.please give me some tip's or common fault's with this model ski.. cheer's matt

Welcome bud Hang around your in the right place for advice.

+1
    welcome to GH

to start i would do a compression check and change the plugs, then report back to see if it can be narrowed down some more,also check plug leads real good for signs of a crack that could cause your spark to arc

if in doubt how to comp check use the search function its there to help you

also if the ski has mods let us know

+1
    Without knowing anymore info, it sounds like cavitation. If it is that is pretty normal on th 1300's. It can be fixed by adding a pump plug kit, sealing the pump shoe, and adding a 1200 intake grate. A new solas impeller would help also.

These ski's do have a rev limter and that, I believe is the popping noise you are hearing.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike's GPR View Post
    Without knowing anymore info, it sounds like cavitation. If it is that is pretty normal on th 1300's. It can be fixed by adding a pump plug kit, sealing the pump shoe, and adding a 1200 intake grate. A new solas impeller would help also.

These ski's do have a rev limter and that, I believe is the popping noise you are hearing.
    welcome to Green Hulk fiery.
    +1 on that. the limiter feeling your getting definately sounds like pump cavitation, and happening at the right times to. when i bought mine new it cavitated severely, a week later i had a pump plug kit from Riva, plus adding some marine silicone in the pump cavities that were not filled by the kit. no more problem.

I'd for sure get a 1200 grate just for safety and hook up. Maybe look at the prop see if its banged up. Does sound like cavataion. Change plugs anyway. Thats always a great thing....

+1
    +1 i have an 07 GP1300R i've had the same cavitation problem. Look into an aftermarket grate, riva or R&D pump plug kit, and if you can check the impeller for damage. Check this site out http://www.cajundude.com/techpagehome.htm he gives a lot of info on how to do the work yourself with directions and pictures.

thank's guy's didn't expect so many replies this quickly it make's a nice change to go on a forum and get some responses. i have rang a few ski people up a they say it's likely a cavitation problem or (traction control???find this hard to believe) i've taken off the intake grate and felt the impeller it is a little banged up not bad but is a bit rough like it's sucked in some small rocks or something. the ski is standard as far as i know.

Thread Information