Best places for parts

Hey everybody. I am new to the site and was hoping to get some help. I have a 1996 SLX that has a blown piston rod and bearing. Well so far as I can tell because I have not completely tore into it yet. What would be the best way to get parts for this. So far I have found SBT and babbits, but another green hulk member said that SBT does not have the best reputation. I am probably going to keep the ovehaul fairly stock due to money limitations, but if anybody has any ideas or simple and inexpensive aftemarket parts I should put on let me know. Thanks for all of you help in advance.

+1
    we have lots of polaris parts here, in stock. i have a good, complete, running 780 short block here for sale, from a nice, low hr freshwater 96 SL 780. no core return needed.

i can also order pistons, rings, gaskets, etc for you if you need.

please send an email or feel free to call me 608*743*1305 if i can help out at all.

thanks.

+1

Talking

Hello Chris weclome to the forum!! You are in the right place, these guys are great!!! They have helped m with my 750slt and my new project pro785. They will get you thru any problems you may have. John is great you can trust him for parts. Good luck and post some pics of the project

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Chris, if you have a bad rod and bearing, then you need a rebuilt crankshaft. They are press fit, so you can't just swap the broken one out. Rebuilds run around $400.

If the rod broke, did it take out the upper case (normally does).

Did it damage the cylinder?

Prob has bad piston also.

So if any of this is accurate. You may want to take John up on his offer of a good 780 engine. You can then transfer your parts to it and have a solid running engine easily.

Not Sure what all is wrong

Xlint, i am not sure what all is wrong just yet. Probably everything you mentioned but won't know until I get started. I did talk to John and he gave me a price on the 780 motor. I will probably go that way and not really bother with doing a rebuild. I am just nervous that when the rod and bearing went out it might have damaged more than just the crankshaft. I don't want to have to rebuild another jug and crank next winter. I don't want to spend a crap load of money, but I will spend more to make it reliable. thanks for all of your help.

+1
    be sure to go through your fuel system completely, carbs, etc to make sure all is up to spec, or better. same with tehe oil injection.

let me know, if i can help at all.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by chrishunt View Post
    Xlint, i am not sure what all is wrong just yet. Probably everything you mentioned but won't know until I get started. I did talk to John and he gave me a price on the 780 motor. I will probably go that way and not really bother with doing a rebuild. I am just nervous that when the rod and bearing went out it might have damaged more than just the crankshaft. I don't want to have to rebuild another jug and crank next winter. I don't want to spend a crap load of money, but I will spend more to make it reliable. thanks for all of your help.
    Keep us posted and we'll help you out the best we can.

If these engines are cared for, they will run for hundreds of hours with no problem.

The fuel system is the weak part, but fortunately it's pretty cheap to maintain.

Thread Information