Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Smile Fuel injected polaris

I have a customer who just bought a polaris fuel injected model.I dont have the software or any way to check injectors,The polaris dealer told him the reason it wont run is all 3 injectors are bad,does that happen normally all 3 at once go down,I can see one or even 2 but I have been around injected engines(high horsepower diesels all my life) never had all injectors fail at once.The dealer said it runs fine if you pour little gas in intake of throttle bodies,For all 3 to go bad at once wouldnt it be computer???Also do polaris injectors pump there own fuel??I see no fuel pump on fiche???THanks in advance>Marvin

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Click here to download the Polaris Service Manuals.

Check the basics (fuses, etc) but especially check the fuel pressure. As soon as the engine starts cranking, you should see over 20PSI pressure at the schrader valve in the fuel return line.

The Ficht electric fuel pump is inside the fuel tank.

If you get zero or very low fuel pressure, clamp off the return fuel line between the schrader valve tee and the fuel tank. If the fuel pressure rises with the return hose clamped off, then the pressure regulator on the fuel pump has fallen off.

This can be repaired, or a replacement fuel pump installed.

If the fuel pressure does not rise even with the fuel return line clamped, check that the fuel pump has 12 volt power. Then ground the Brown wire from the fuel pump to start the pump running. You should be able to hear it.

If fuel pressure is good, then check the 45volt White/Red Injector wires. During cranking, you should see over 20 volts, with all injectors connected. As soon as it starts, voltage should jump to 40+ volts.

On Polaris Ficht, the fuel injectors take the 20+PSI fuel flow, and electrically compress and ram inject the fuel directly into the cylinders.

Ficht fuel injector failures are rare. Usually it is something else; fuel pressure, 45volt injector power, EMM, or stator. Since you have ignition, start with the fuel system.

Smile

I am having trouble D/L the manuals,Also this ski has spark,will styart and idle then die,it makes no difference if you clip off return line,same result,I have a matched set of injectors and computer off a running polaris that had thrown a rod.Also you can or cannot run premix thru injectors???I have heard no it ruins them or no its ok which is it???The computer seems to have a water cooling line running thru it into stator,yet I can find no exit line out of stator?does it return to block thru stator panel or ,I really need the manual any tricks on DL it?I cant get the 1999-2002 manual to open or D/L help To get to fuel pump which is in tank,it seems only way is to pull tank forward ,or does engine have to come out to remove fuel tank??I wish I could get my paws on a manual or at least just look at one.I havent needed a manual for seadoos or yamahas for yrs,but I shore could use a polaris 2002 txi man>Thanks >Marvin

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjetskey View Post
    ...this ski has spark,will start and idle then die, it makes no difference if you clip off return line, same result.
    Did you connect a gauge to the schrader valve and check the actual fuel pressure?
    Did you do the other checks, like grounding the Brown wire to listen for the fuel pump running, and confirming the 45 volt DC injector power?

I have a matched set of injectors and computer off a running Polaris that had thrown a rod.
    As long as you keep the injectors matched with the EMM, and install each injector on the SAME cylinder it was removed from (PTO to PTO, CEN to CEN, MAG to MAG), you can swap the EMM+injectors, and see if the problem changes.
    But first confirm fuel pressure is good.

...can or cannot run premix thru injectors?...
    You can NOT pre-mix a Polaris fuel injected engine. The oil injection feeds into and lubricates the crankcase and bearings.
    The fuel injection goes directly into the combustion chamber, so any oil mixed into the fuel never gets anywhere near the crank shaft.

The computer seems to have a water cooling line running thru it into stator, yet I can find no exit line out of stator?...
    The stator cover has two cooling lines connected. One is below the oil pump (hard to see it down there), the other is above the oil pump.

...I cant get the 1999-2002 manual to open or D/L...
    Use a different computer, or one with a faster Internet connection.
    The manuals are VERY large PDF files, about 60MB in size. If you have a slow Internet connection, the manual might take 30 minutes or longer to download.

Also, you must have installed a current version of the free Adobe Acrobat READER software. Click here to download the latest Acrobat Reader software.

You might also try installing the Firefox Internet browser, and use that for downloading the manual.

To get to fuel pump which is in tank,
    it seems only way is to pull tank forward,
    or does engine have to come out to remove fuel tank?
    Fuel tank can slide forward, once you remove the brackets and hoses, and shift/lift the oil tank enough to get the gas tank to move.

I wish I could get my paws on a manual or at least just look at one...
    If you really can not download the manual using your computer, or using a different computer, PM me, and I can mail you a CD with the manual on it.

Once you have confirmed 20+PSI fuel pressure, if it still does not start and run properly, try unplugging the TPS connector at the rear end of the throttle body. If it then starts and idles OK, then the TPS may be bad.

Smile

THanks The 2002 manual will D/l only opening page for me,I have a pretty fast well fast 3 yrs ago a p-4 630 with 2gig of ram,I have a 3MBS DSL which I can watch video on so I would think its fast enough to D/L only 40mb or so of manual.Thanks for answering all the questions it is a great help.I havent really started into it yet other than 10 minute walkaround when it was dropped off.My customer loves polaris he bought a 4 place trailer.A shuttle craft.2 sltx,a kawasaki 900 I rebuilt completely for him.A 2003 1200txi like new 30hrs(problem child)for 2300.00 and a 50 hrs 2002 txi with thrown rod,but in perfect shape for 400.00 both of his 1999 sltx had less than 30 and 55 hrs.he rides 90miles at a time in gulf twice a week.Those sltx seem to have a lot of piston slap even though they are low hrs.I pulled heads and checked them cyl looked like new,compression fine etc.I just dont like the clatter they make when you shut them down after starting on trailer out of water.They sound like a yamaha 650 wr3 with 500hrs on them.Its just the way they sound both run awsome.I will keep you up to date on injected skis progreass thank you so much for all your help!HAPPY THANKSGIVING !May GOD BLESS You and Your family!!>Marvin

+1
    THanks The 2002 manual will D/l only opening page for me,I have a pretty fast well fast 3 yrs ago a p-4 630 with 2gig of ram,I have a 3MBS DSL which I can watch video on so I would think its fast enough to D/L only 40mb or so of manual.
    Might be something to do with your particular computer, and your Adobe Acrobat Reader plug-in, or the browser itself might have an issue. Sometimes you just need to use a different computer...

...both of his 1999 sltx had less than 30 and 55 hrs.he rides 90miles at a time in gulf twice a week. Those sltx seem to have a lot of piston slap even though they are low hrs.I pulled heads and checked them cyl looked like new,compression fine etc.

I just don't like the clatter they make when you shut them down after starting on trailer out of water....
    Try removing the jet pump, see if the sound goes away.

The Polaris jet pumps often sound noisy when running out of the water, unless the drive shaft splines are fully greased up. In the water, the pump should be quiet, of course.

Smile

I appreciate the heads up on pump I have been repairing kawasakis and yamahas ,sea-doos,polaris since 1990,Those splined pumps do rattle,But piston slap is a way different sound than drive shaft spline rattling.Besides had pumps and shafts out of both of them,the sound is there with pump and shaft out,its like polaris knew they really messed up putting tolerences on sl650 and 750 too close for texas water(92-94 models) so they left extra piston /cylinder clearance.Its just piston slap,doesnt seem to hurt performance or reliability.JUst a slight rattle when shutting them down.The rebuilt 780slt I have set up at .0035 piston to cyl. clearance doesnt rattle.JMHO>Marvin

+1
    ...It's just piston slap, doesn't seem to hurt performance or reliability. Just a slight rattle when shutting them down.
    The rebuilt 780slt I have set up at .0035 piston to cyl. clearance doesn't rattle.JMHO>Marvin
    Do they rattle less when the pistons+cylinders are fully up to operating temps?

+1

Starts and dies?

I used to work at a polaris dealer and had some injected machines that would start and run until I released the start button. This was caused by interferance generated when the coil in the start relay was de-energized. Polaris fixed the problem by replacing the relay with one that had a diode in it. If it runs until the start button is released replace the relay.

Just a thought.

start with checking fuel pressure as stated by K447. Be careful when grounding the brown wire for this wire does complete the circuit for the fuel driver in the EMM. And like all computers they do not like voltage surges/Spikes. The run and die can be related to the pump trying to build pressure and just runs out once fuel demand is required. Check fuel pressure while cranking.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information