Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

+1

Thumbs up Trailering Your Ski!

Rollers or bunks which is best? FYI the use of rollers or poor bunk design/ placement on a trailer over time trailering your ski will cause the bottom of the hull to get distorted and cause a loss of speed on your hull. Working with many race boats at Fountain Power Boat I have found that trailers that do not support the hull good will cause the hull to get hooks and rockers in the bottom of the hull causing a substancial loss in top speed. I thought I would pass this info along to you guys. I know some of you are intersted in keeping or making your ski faster and a trailer that does NOT support the hull good from front to rear is a sure bet that over time you hull bottom is going to get hooks and rockers in it which will cost you speed. I know that a GPR hull is hard to get supported properly on a trailer. This is why on all my trailers I have 2x4 or 2x6 turned up on the edge with this supporting the hull completly to the rear of the ski and in as flat an aera under the hull as possible. Another speed tip! Tommy Jordan

+1

Talking

good info. I've been meaning to adjust my bunks. Now if I lose in a race I can blame the bunks.

+1
    what do you mean turning it up on the edge? Got a pic of what you mean?
    Thanks
    SHOOTER

Moderated
    Tommy

could you please post more information on this along with some pictures so we can all see what your talking about?

Greenhulk Grasshopah (DRC) HallPass's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by izz0 View Post
    Tommy

could you please post more information on this along with some pictures so we can all see what your talking about?
    +1

+1
    I would say turning it up on edge would mean the 2" section of 2x4 is what the ski is sitting on, and the 4" section is running vertical.

+1
    2fast is talking about the bunks being placed on their edge if I am reading that right. the wood used 2x4 and 2x6's are much stronger and will not warp or bow inward as bad as if they are flat. as he indicated this is very important especialy in bigger hulls. our 38' Eliminator has six bunk sets across front and back following the chines on the hull bottom (12 total bunks) at 9000 lbs weight is a big factor. not so much on skis, the shorter hulls plus the lighter weight do not effect hull warp near as much as the big stuff, but is still a factor. I put 2x6 on my trailer and removed the 2x4's, I kept mine flat but because of the GPR chines and over all hull bottom design it is very hard to hold a flat even surface to the bunk. On edge such as 2Fast's this is not a problem and you can easily adjust the edge/side of a bunk between the ridges in the hull bottom. One thing I found to be a problem with ski's over the years is the bounce a light craft has on a trailer going down the road. I installed the ratchet straps pictured, these are designed specifically for boat trailers. (next to the taillight mounted on the frame) their always their and out of the way when not in use. (and look nice to) I hook the ratchet strap to the loop tie downs supplied with my ski to these ratchets and snug up, especially on long trips. I donot like roller bunks. always waiting for the guy at the landing with rollers because he has to crank up his boat as it keeps rolling off unlike wood bunks. also seen most trailers adjusted with the rollers just in from the transom edge causing the hull bottom to sag inward creating a "hook" in the transom and causing porpoising problems at high speeds on plane.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11-12-08_1015.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	107.5 KB 
ID:	104034   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11-12-08_1038.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	125.7 KB 
ID:	104035   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11-12-08_1039.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	125.1 KB 
ID:	104036  

+1
    pic of ratchets in use
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11-12-08_1110.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	91.9 KB 
ID:	104037  

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by HallPass View Post
    +1
    I will post pictures tomorrow with specs. Tommy Jordan

+1
    I repaired a flat bottom aluminum boat the other day, It was on a trailer with rollers, every spot on the bottom where it rested on the rollers had a big dent....bottom was very wavey........my ski trailer has 2x6 turned on end with bunk caps and trailer is built very sturdy to limit flex.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information