Best type of paint to use

Hey everybody. I am going to painting my ski this winter and was looking at types of paint and where to get it at. I know that West Marine is a popular place for boaters, but I don't need as paint as a boat. Any suggestions or tips would be great. thanks

what are you painting? the hull or various plastic pieces? if youre painting the hull you should consult someone who paints professionally. if youre painting plastics, I can be of some help as I just painted some stuff on my 96 xp with great success.

I want to paint the hull, and maybe some plastic pieces. What did you paint on your XP? My uncle is a painter so I will probably use his knowledge when painting the hull, but I want do it myslef. Thanks for the reply.

I dont know much about painting on that level but jet skis are gelcoated and not painted.. therefore, I would have concerns about paint coming off due to the friction of the water under your hull. Im not at all knowledgable about it so im only speculating but I would think prep work would be critical.

as far as the plastic pieces, I painted my hood and etc on my seadoo.

First I sanded it with 120 grit on an oribital sander. When I finished, I cleaned it off with acetone and let it sit. I then used a coat of plastic primer from Home Depot. I then used rustoleum 'all purpose paint' also from Home Depot. I had tried several different plastic paints before and had problems with coverage and adhesion. But this stuff worked perfectly.

The 'all purpose' paint said on the can ideal for plastics and listed several other surfaces. I was skeptical at first because it wasnt purely a plastic paint but it worked perfectly. it comes in an tall can with an odd looking nozzle at the top with a trigger. it sprays like a paint gun. Excellent coverage and adhesion. even color. Highly recommended paint.

No matter what you do, do NOT use emamel paint, it will flake off the first time you take the ski out.

cheatin' piston popper addicted's Avatar
    +1
    if it's a smc hull, use good automotive paint and standard prep work. if its fiberglass it should be gelcoated.

+1

base coat clear coat

I just painted this hull 3 weeks ago. i used Nason (made by dupont) flame orange 74-76 gm year/////// base coat, clear coat, just like a car. works awesome. prep is the same ,,,either glass or metal or plastic....... dough first, sand ,paint. wet sand and wheel. wax.
    I shot it with a hvlp gun at 35 psi. 4 coats orange 4 coats clear, waited 15 mins between coats. wet sanded the orange the day after before putting on the clear. Not wet sanded yet, but it's smooth already.
    Were gonna wait till spring and give it a wetsanding and buff with finesse-it. then a good carnuba for that ulimate shine! then a lil show car polish spray as a touch for show!. lol
    Now for the bottom Might Not want to mess with this end of the ski. Jet Skis Have Gel Coat on the skis. including the bottom. some top parts might be painted with paint but never the bottom. Gel Coat only.

Gel Coat is diffucilt to work with and spray, Basically this is the deal. when you spray gel coat, you are spraying a resin with a kicker in it and some pigmen in it. The gel......dries hard. if not harder than the fiberglass or smc or whatever the hull is made of. It's waterproof and tough as nails.
    When a new boat is made, the gel is sprayed into the mold,then the material is laid over it. then,they pop the ski out and its all nice n shiny looking n smooth.
    When you do it with the ski sitting there, you have to spray it perfect and get no runs in it, let it cure, then progressively sand it until its totally smooth like glass. you may have to start with 80,120,180,220,320,400,600,,1000,1200,1500 then polish it to get it to shine Without Burning thru the gel as you sand. Very tough to do and time consuming.
    I use to work on the Dodge Viper and the Ford GT40 in the paint n polish dept. any questions just ask. I have lot of experience working with paint and sanding and polishing!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	22.2 KB 
ID:	103914

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	24.9 KB 
ID:	103915

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	27.9 KB 
ID:	103916

P.S. Don't forget to buy lots of acetone to clean out the gel from the gun before it kicks or else you just throw the gun away after! lol

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    Bowsniper,Very Good write-up.
    If you have gouges in the bottom hull,most marine places carry gel coat repair kits for touching up. The fish don't mind what the bottom looks like,If you want to do something with the bottom,fix any bad spots, Then tru the hull.Most think it's best to leave a 400 grit finish on the bottom to help brake the surface tension.So you actually end up with a dull finish. But you really only need to true the bottom back half were the ski rides underway.Some hulls will pick up a few MPH by truing.
    I have pictures posted on my thread of truing the MSX.

The secret to any paint job is prep,If you see it in the primer,you'll probaly see it in the paint.

+1
    Thx

Thread Information