helmets, wind noise, & headphones

When I make long distance offshore trips (did a 23 hour trip this year), I usually wear over the ear headphones, not just to listen to music but also to reduce the contant wind noise that I would otherwise have to listen to for 23 hours. However, I was thinking about using the motorcross style helmets that I see most of the course racers using.
    My question is what type of helmet do most people use? Is it just a standard motorcross style helmet or are there specific ones designed for PWC?
    I was also worried that the goggles would be hard to see out of with the salt water spray. I tried using sunglasses, but found it hard to read the GPS with the water drops that are constantly on the outside of the glasses.
    Anybody find a good set of noise-cancelling earbuds that are good for PWC at remaining in place and reducing wind noise?
    And yes, I already know that wearing earbuds while driving is not a good idea but I only use them on long trips where there is no other traffic.
    I think that's enough questions for one post!

Most of the racers use MX helmets. Per the rules, it must be DOT approved. I personally got one that was a decent price, and have had no issues what so ever. It’s a KBC or something like that. I also buought MX goggles, and use rain x on the outside of the goggles, and scuba chit on the inside (dunno if rainx is good for the eyes)… I've also worn earbuds while training, I've used the tpye that go into your ear, but when you get sweety, and your head is whippin around they sometimes start falling out.

I would think ones that have the ear piece strap would work fine. As for your concerns, of goggles, I can no longer ride without my helmet, and goggles. Its second nature. Vision is great, no worrying of SALT water getting in my eyes, less wind noise, and wind chill as well. Hope that helps. Goggles, and MX helmet, and you will say man, why didn’t I do this a long time ago! (All we ride is Salt water)

You can tape the buds in like nascar does and they wont fall out.

Thanks. I have a MX style helmet and goggles that I use for snowmobiling. Will try it out in the spring on PWC. Good tip with the RainX.

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    You could always get the goggles that take tear offs............

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra250 Tn View Post
    You could always get the goggles that take tear offs............
    I' wouldn’t recommend that. If water gets trapped in between two of the tear offs, it will hinder your vision. The rainx allows you to just turn your head, and the water flies right off.

Single lens also, no SNOW goggles.

+1
    As a year round biker and pwc rider I will throw in my 2 cents worth. All I am saying is what works for me. As I do on my bike I use a full face helmet during the winter. I have a speaker system in both that is secured in the helmet. With the face shield closed the water runs off with the wind. You can tape up the vents to stop water intrusion. when you slow down just lift the shield and cool off. I wear a neoprene hood under if cutting up or regular baclava if just out riding. Most helmets can have a tinted shield for those bright days with an easy change back to clear. Granted my Water helmet is a cheap one but it does the job. www.jpcycles.com is where I get all of my bike stuff from. Good prices and service. They have large helmet and helmet audio selection. As I said just what I do.

Thread Information