+1

Air Hose Routing

2 Quick questions.... Must the air hoses be crossed, does one feed/flow more are than the other ?

Is it possible for me get more air in the motor and still use the gutted stock air box ? (and I mean just the airbox - nothing in it and no air elbow - just both halves of the box open to the front) I dont really wanna go to FA's

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by BahamasGPR View Post
    2 Quick questions.... Must the air hoses be crossed, does one feed/flow more are than the other ?

Is it possible for me get more air in the motor and still use the gutted stock air box ? (and I mean just the airbox - nothing in it and no air elbow - just both halves of the box open to the front) I dont really wanna go to FA's

Cheers
    I would like to know also because I made mine go straight down when I removed those plastic boxes and styrofoam to give more room to work up front.

+1
    ???

Hey bud mine go straight down to the front of the airbox and are not crossed. I am running a cone style filter on the front of the OEM box BTW with stock screens removed. I am assuming that if your cowlings have not been cut and are factory the left side might flow a bit more ?????

+1
    mine are not crossed either. just routed to point towards the engine. i have taken out the metal screens and have the cone shaped filter on the end of the oem airbox like 08GPR. also cutting the left crowling will increase airflow as well as drilling holes in your bucket and hood. another new thing people are doing is putting 2" flow right vents on the back of their seat on the sides. just make sure you clean your engine bay and engine pretty good after each ride incase you get some water in there and things start to rust.

+1
    Is there any benefit of keeping those hoses? or is it better to just remove them?

cheatin' piston popper addicted's Avatar
    +1
    The hoses are there to keep the ski from sinking like a brick if it rolls over. They also keep any water that gets in from going directly to your engine by forcing the air and water to the bottom of the hull.

IMO, if you ride in rough water, leave the hoses as designed, but open the black plastic under the cowls to let more air in. If you only ride in smooth water, ditch the hoses and Swiss cheese your front bucket and the lid under the visor.

+1
    Thanks guys,

I done the cowling cutting thing.

My hoses are not crossed like they are from the factory and I was just concerned that one flowed better than the other (since mine are currently the opposite way around that they should be) I guess they might until you cut the cowling.

Another thing I have done, as I was concerned that if the hoses fell square to the bottom and restrict air flow, is cut a section out of each hose facing the centre of the hull . I.e 4" along the length from the end and then across. Essentially taking out half/semicircle of hose 4" long . So air cannot be restricted.

Jury still out on the flowrites - I guess that will be a possiblity when/if I finally run it with the seat off and I get more RPMS !!

I keep meaning to try running my boat with the seat off to see if I get more RPM's (its a lttle rich anyhow) but its either too rough with weather/traffic or I forget !!

At what level of mods/speeds does the standard gutted airbox with its 4-5" front opening become restrictive ? and are there any additional safe mods to do to it for us ocean/surf riders?????

Thread Information