Here come the smokers! OBXJeepGuy's Avatar

Replacing plug wires....

Has anyone tried replacing the plug wires on a Yamaha twin themselves? I know I could send the thing to Jetskisolutions, but of course I am trying to avoid that..... Being on the budget I am on, I need to see if I can do it myself....

you can get the wire ,boots and ends from your local outboard shop...IMT,yours should be removeable from the coil (coil has twist in posts,meaning an internal screw retains the wire,like a cork screw),you spin the wire to remove and reinstal a new one.

(I have cheated with the wr wires, as they are non removable.I recovered the wire's and their abrassions full lenght ,with adhesive heat shrink tube.Then bought the spark plug spring clip ends from my outboard dealer.I did reuse the better o/e boots)

Yeah, my wires appear to be held in with some kind of epoxy crap... I took the box apart the other day, and got spooked. I don't want to tear it apart so bad that JSS can't fix my screwup if I attempt, and fail!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by OBXJeepGuy View Post
    Yeah, my wires appear to be held in with some kind of epoxy crap... I took the box apart the other day, and got spooked. I don't want to tear it apart so bad that JSS can't fix my screwup if I attempt, and fail!
    If your sure your wires are bad you could also look around and see if someone has the coils with the wires for sale..
    Check over on the www.x-h2o.com There's a lot more yamaha 760 parts floating around there.
    I'm pretty sure the coils/wires would be the same 760/701/650... Maybe look at picking up a set of seadoo coils and doing your own wires? Maybe a set of coils from a GPR box as the wires are removable??

Just throwing some other ideas out there..
    Good Luck
    Doug

went and looked on ghpf o/e parts list ..as I see these yours is a dual unit like the WR and 'NOT' removeable ... if they were they would readily twist loose.. id say if you leeds are bad ,try my fix or send it out...

Yep, I am going to just send it to JSS, and have them change the plug wires....
    Posted via Mobile Device

+1
    If you know where your wire is broken down in side, you can use a NGK spark plug wire splicer. I saw them on their website, wish I had seen it before I bought a new coil for the SJ cause the wire was broken 3 inchs out of coil.

I know this is an old lost but figured I should share this. Changing plug wires on a non-servicable coil isn't difficult.

You will need to make a tool but it's simple. If you or maybe someone you know messes with cars, there may be an old Chevy pushrod laying around. They are hollow and a good OD for this tool. Kit a piece 4-5" long and another piece to use as a T-handle. If you don't weld find someone to weld the "T" handle to one end. Use a dremel or your preferred tool to cut some teeth into the working end of the "tool".

To use, just cut the plug wires off flush with the coil and then use your tool to cut the old glue and remaining wire out of the coil. The hollow tool will leave the spike untouched. Once relatively clean of glue and old wire, insert your new wire securing it with silicone.

Coils hardly ever fail but wires... Hope this helps somebody.

I guess in a pinch you could do it without a t handle and chuck it in a drill. You would need to go SLOW. It will save the welding. If you are OCD, you could put a piece of grip tape on the OD of the end to clean the ID of the hole better.

+1
    Buy a polaris ignition oil for an RMK 800 (snowmobile), pn# 4060229

It's a bolt in part, the connecters attach inside the elec box, and it has replaceable plug wires, which also means you will need to buy about 6 ft of plug wire, and 2 NGK TB05EM plug caps. If you break the wires on down the road, then thats all you have to buy is more wire.............

Thread Information