motor mount shims on 98 xpl engine alignment

Is there supposed to be a certain amount of shims underneath the mounts of a 98xpl, i have 2 in the front mount, one on the back left, and none on the right, is there supposed to be one on each? there is a light spot on the right side which looks like at one point in time they had a shim on that side, could that be the reason i was lacking some speed and rubbing the wear ring? engine is blown right now so won't beable to find out for a while. How do you realign the engine as well when you put the engine back in?

every engine / hull / pump shoe.... is different. you use whatever shims it takes to align it. there is an alignment tool - you can rent it a few places. some dealers or shops will help you out at reasonable price if you take it in ready to align and take it away to finish build when alignment is done. i have a tool if in nashville tn area, i would be willing to for free

Quote Originally Posted by ohell View Post
    every engine / hull / pump shoe.... is different. you use whatever shims it takes to align it. there is an alignment tool - you can rent it a few places. some dealers or shops will help you out at reasonable price if you take it in ready to align and take it away to finish build when alignment is done. i have a tool if in nashville tn area, i would be willing to for free
    well i live in louisiana lol, would you be willing to ship haha? ill pay for rent. it will be another couple of months until i actually have the cash to buy me a new 951, i just want to make sure when i swap it out with the blown engine(cracked the block) that it is done right because i dont think the guy before ever realigned it. thanks

Be carefull with the SBT alignment tools. They apparently bend easily during shipment... Ron

sorry, i don't ship mine around. i'd guess ups, fedex and usps could dend any of them out of tolerance. sbt rents/sells them, dude over on pwcT rents them, most stealers or local shops aren't too bad if you drag ski in with engine in but drive line out and pick up after it is aligned. as the ole saying goes, if you want something done right......

Quote Originally Posted by ohell View Post
    sorry, i don't ship mine around. i'd guess ups, fedex and usps could dend any of them out of tolerance. sbt rents/sells them, dude over on pwcT rents them, most stealers or local shops aren't too bad if you drag ski in with engine in but drive line out and pick up after it is aligned. as the ole saying goes, if you want something done right......
    well im going to shop around for one because the dealer over here is strait up crooked and will charge me out the ass, would not rent a fly wheel puller to me because he wanted me to pay all kinds of money for him to do it so i bought one

+1
    You can eyeball it with your driveshaft and pump. Just put some backspacers on the pump studs, then bolt the pump up to get it to set the way it normally would. The driveshaft will be close to the pto. Then you can determine whether you need to go up, down, left or right. If you can get the up and down part, then you can bolt it up. Then turn the motor over with the motor mounts loose and it will self align.
    SHOOTER

Thread Information