+1

?? about using an RXP pump on a 951 tunnel

I'm looking at different pump setups for a conversion ski I'm doing (GSX-L in signature). I'd like to put an RXP pump on it since it seems to fit pretty well. It'll process more water than the Skat pump I've got, and the setback with 10 veins should provide better hookup than a stocker.

I know others have done this and so I'm looking for some feedback. So far it looks like an RXP pump with an impeller from a 951 is a direct fit with an RXX drive shaft - tight in length, but it'll work. The RXP wear ring is a bit bigger, but the clearance is still under 0.025". The wear limit for a 951 is 0.040". Not sure about the limit on an RXP. Installing an underbored SS or aluminum ring is an option.

With these things considered, what other issues have been experienced by those who have done this? Drive shaft size is a concern, but I should be OK with this HP. To use the RXP shaft, I'd have to do a complete redesign of the PTO.

Any input is appreciated...

+1
    Jim Budnik in Michigan did thise maybe 2 years ago, I bet he has some left or can answer you questions. PM or email me for his email etc. not sure if it still works but he's pretty well known if my info isn't correct.

TLR

+1
    PM sent - thanks!

fabrication guru rapidacceleration's Avatar
    +1
    you are still going to use the RXP 160MM 4 blade right???
    thats the whole reason for switching to the bigger pump.

I gained 3mph and solved my cavitation issue on the RXPL conversion when i switch to the bigger pump.

got your PTO file on my putter, looking at it now. i'll email you this weekend.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by rapidacceleration View Post
    you are still going to use the RXP 160MM 4 blade right???
    thats the whole reason for switching to the bigger pump. Well yes & no. I'm looking at the difference between the 148mm D-75 setback and the 155mm RXP which allows me to use a stock 20mm 18t shaft from impeller to PTO. This arrangement gains me in diameter, setback, and stator veins. Supposedly the D-75 is good to 200+ HP, according to Skat. This may be OK considering the lower torque I'm generating, but I'd like to have a fall-back position if it's not. The larger 4-blade requires a lot more cost and machining, with either a custom shaft or impeller. I'm not so sure it's necessary, yet. It will definitely be considered in the next PTO design.

I gained 3mph and solved my cavitation issue on the RXPL conversion when i switch to the bigger pump.

got your PTO file on my putter, looking at it now. i'll email you this weekend. I've been working on that some more. The drawing I sent you was a quickie, with a lot of omissions. I can clean that up later. The diameter of the shaft has also gotten larger, but that shouldn't affect the cost.
    Thanks for the input!

Thread Information