Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: VF3

VF3

Before I ask the Q's I am not seeking blame. I take full responsibility once I purchase and fit all my parts.

So, this is the reed from the cylinder at the back of the ski #3? It failed after 20hrs running time. Pretty sure it failed in 3 stages lasting 5seconds last stage cutting power to the motor. Motor still turned over and after cleaning plugs would idle for a few seconds and cut out. I did not use grease for the gasket install. I did purchase longer bolts to compensate the spacer plate. Motor did not back fire. I ran the ski for 4hrs that day on and off over a 6hr period. It runs in salt water only and the air temp was 33deg C.
    Q1: I have only managed to find about 70% of the missing reed parts if they are in the motor will they cause damage?
    Q2: Why did it happen.
    If the pic is un clear the reed structure is the part that failed.

Thanks,
    Jetsurf
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dsc02295_145.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	1,010.0 KB 
ID:	5479  

Re: VF3

Quote Originally Posted by jetsurf
    ...I did not use grease for the gasket install.
    What did you use?

+1
    1. I'd say your motor spat it out. CF does act similar to fiberglass once the epoxy is shattered. If in doubt, pull the head.

2. Carbon Fiber reeds have a history of failure. However, the VF3's using a spacer plate, have been very successful so far. I noted chipping on one of my petals early on, but no failure yet.

The spacer plate trick has worked well for me on the stock reeds, which tend to burn at the edges at high rpms (7900+).

The major failure here is not the carbon fiber petal but the cage itself.
    Correct me if I am wrong but it seems that the cage broke. If the cage failed it is rare and you just got a bad cage. Are you using a d-plate???

I just blew up the picture. The cage broke right at the vein where the plate sits up against!!!, It was either a manufacturer's defect or someone pound the heck out of it. Where the cages recessed into the spacer????Where did those cages come from???

Stuffer condition?

Quote Originally Posted by howestek
    Stuffer condition?
    You may be right!!!!!

VF3 reeds info

Thanks for the info and responces.
    I did not use any kind of grease, gaskets were applied dry.
    The stuffer condition is as new.
    The stuffers were almost matched to port .5mm-1mm required to be be filed. I matched them up this time, I did not look the first time.
    The spacer plate and reeds are recessed matched no protrusions and they fit snug, not tight and do not rattle. I had my Riva EFI running at 4.5,7,1,6.
    If it was just 1 of those things then I am good with that, I just do not want to do it again if it's something I have done incorrectly.

Again thanks for the info, if any one has other idea's or q's don't hold back.

Re: VF3 reeds info

Quote Originally Posted by jetsurf
    Thanks for the info and responces.
    I did not use any kind of grease, gaskets were applied dry.
    The stuffer condition is as new.
    The stuffers were almost matched to port .5mm-1mm required to be be filed. I matched them up this time, I did not look the first time.
    The spacer plate and reeds are recessed matched no protrusions and they fit snug, not tight and do not rattle. I had my Riva EFI running at 4.5,7,1,6.
    If it was just 1 of those things then I am good with that, I just do not want to do it again if it's something I have done incorrectly.

Again thanks for the info, if any one has other idea's or q's don't hold back.
    Don't put the gaskets on dry again! If you are unlucky and have an air leak you will be out a LOT more then the cost of a new reed setup!!!

Water proof greas, yama-bond they both work

You can install the gaskets dry without a problem they are embedded with a chemical that will seal when heated up. I grease them only to be able to ease the removal. Make sure that the cages are flush or below the spacer level line.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information