Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Oil Tank Repair

Jet Ski Tinker

Oil Tank Repair

2004 MSX 150
    Can the oil tank be taken apart to replace the seal between the fresh water cooling and the oil compartment? Can this be repaired? Has anyone ever done this repair? If so do you have directions?
    fficeffice" />>>
    Thanks,

Jet Ski Tinker
    Oil tanker repair,
    Well I decided to just go for it! A new tank is not cheep!
    The best way I found to get this apart is to use aircraft skin wedges and work them around the tank several times. This was not an easy task without braking the plastic tank. You must have a lot of patience! I found a lot of corrosion on the O-rings and in the O-ring groves. This must have been ware the water was coming into the oil side of the tank. The baffle on the inside of the tank fits into groves and the plate is stainless steel. The plate has tabs that act as a spring tension to the outside of the wall of the tank.
    It also acts to reduce the oil from foaming. All that is needed is to clean the part and new O-rings with a new outside tank clamp and we are ready to go!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	046.JPG 
Views:	336 
Size:	1.51 MB 
ID:	104591   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	047.JPG 
Views:	229 
Size:	1.55 MB 
ID:	104592   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	048.JPG 
Views:	220 
Size:	1.55 MB 
ID:	104593   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	049.JPG 
Views:	238 
Size:	1.48 MB 
ID:	104594   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	050.JPG 
Views:	231 
Size:	1.43 MB 
ID:	104595  

Nice work!

There is a Polaris recall fix for the baffle...some were coming loose, and the oil was foaming and getting injected into the intake system. You might want to do some research about how the baffle was finally 'locked' into place, before you reassemble your tank.

Thanks for the pictures of the interior of our oil tank...!

Oil tank available from Weber

I sent one of these to a MSX-150 customer and it cured his problem..The price is $564.00 for the complete kit.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Watcon; 11-17-2008 at 04:53 PM. Reason: Text change

Quote Originally Posted by Watcon View Post
    I sent one of these to a MSX-150 customer and it cured his problem..The price is $564.00 for the complete kit.
    What does this kit correct?

Does it replace the stock oil tank without any engine mods?

Never seen one of these....

Oil tank

This is the oil tank used on all the new Weber motors, and it should be a direct replacement for the earlier oil tank on the MSX-150. I am not that familiar with the MSX/ Polaris updates but perhaps Prochamp or another savvy person on the group can fill in the details?

I did send one of these to a customer and he was delighted with the results and said installation was easy.. I dont stock these, but I can have one available in 5-7 days.

Thanks,
    Randy

Quote Originally Posted by Watcon View Post
    This is the oil tank used on all the new Weber motors, and it should be a direct replacement for the earlier oil tank on the MSX-150. I am not that familiar with the MSX/ Polaris updates but perhaps Prochamp or another savvy person on the group can fill in the details?

I did send one of these to a customer and he was delighted with the results and said installation was easy.. I dont stock these, but I can have one available in 5-7 days.

Thanks,
    Randy
    Hi Randy!

If this is the latest part number for the oil tank, then I would assume that it has solved the loose baffle problem.

I would, however, need to know if this is true...before I would order one.

If you can find out...that would be great.

I don't seem to have the baffle problem...but would probably do the swap, BEFORE I found that out!

+1
    Hi Dosuser,

What led you to pull the tank apart? Milky oil?
    I have some minor condensation after a run and have suspected a leak from there but have no evidence (it holds air pressure when cold)
    Now that you have sucsessfully pulled one apart i will have a go!
    Did you happen to keep th O ring dimensions?

Keep up the good work

Cheers

Part numbers

This is a Weber part number for the newer stuff.. We have never had a problem.. Maybe somebody can find an updated OEM Polaris part number and image?

Jet Ski Tinker

After further inspection

Helo, Kosh,
    After the last run for the season I found that the oil had some water in it and was milky.
    I didnít know that the baffle was even loose in the tank until I got it apart! Baffle was bouncing around inside the tank. I donít have the exact size of the o-ring about 6Ē on ID, about 7Ē ID on outside O-ring. I found that the port that the turbo line returns into the tank is sticking. This is a spring plunger that moves up and down at the top of the tank. This could be a problem for oil return and could cause to much oil pressure on the turbo and blow seals! Baffle loose in tank is not good and will cause foaming of the oil and not enough oil flow to the motor. Oil pumps donít like to pump any type of air. This will cause cavitation in the pump and low oil flow! I donít think that I can secure the baffle in the tank. The spring tabs donít have anything to grab onto inside the tank. The bouncing around of the baffle wore the inside of the tank and baffle will not stay in place. One post I found used epoxy to hold the baffle in place. If the epoxy comes loose it will go into the motor oil system and melt and end up on the moving parts. Not good!!
    It looks like one of the new tanks for me. Better safe then sorry!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information