Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

cavitation / airation

looking for a little assistance for a cavitation/airation problem that i have been having for a while when stabbing it off the line. i have replaced the carbon seal, then replaced it with a seadoo center seal, replaced pump seal, tried many different props tall and short(thats not the problem) resealed shoe (without removing) tried ss wear rings and new oem wear rings etc etc. my thoughts is that it is sucking air from within the pump shoe some where . apart from removing the shoe and ride plate am i missing anything any help would be tops.
    cheers Jeff

The ski's have taken a "backseat" to the Corvette DarthAWM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jaffabas View Post
    looking for a little assistance for a cavitation/airation problem that i have been having for a while when stabbing it off the line. i have replaced the carbon seal, then replaced it with a seadoo center seal, replaced pump seal, tried many different props tall and short(thats not the problem) resealed shoe (without removing) tried ss wear rings and new oem wear rings etc etc. my thoughts is that it is sucking air from within the pump shoe some where . apart from removing the shoe and ride plate am i missing anything any help would be tops.
    cheers Jeff
    Sounds like you covered all the usual suspects. I would try the ride plate next. Just remember before you try to remove the plate you will need to unscrew and remove the nipple that that coolant hoses attach to, to prevent breakage When you reseal it use plenty of 5200 or Permatex ultra black

Kiwi spanner handler
    +1

air

I have had one suck air between ride plate and shoe i took the pump out and sealed up all around the back of the shoe area and it was fine after that. removing the plate would be better but after doing a few its not a nice job but not to bad.

+1
    thanks fellas, looks like the shoe is comming out then

also

keep in mind depending on the kind of ski you might need to install trim tabs, specially if your producing serious horse power, some ski's will reaise the nose so high that they expose the intake grate, there for they take in air and cavitate.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthAWM View Post
    Sounds like you covered all the usual suspects. I would try the ride plate next. Just remember before you try to remove the plate you will need to unscrew and remove the nipple that that coolant hoses attach to, to prevent breakage When you reseal it use plenty of 5200 or Permatex ultra black
    Which intake grate are you using?

+1
    worx. they stick better to the water in my opinion. tried a few others.

+1
    What Prop, and nozzle size are u running? u may have too much power , and too small of prop, or too large of a nozzle exit. Try a smaller nozzle, and see if that does it.
    ALSO

I would also look at the floating ring on the drive shaft while running to see if it wobbles some, or is perfectly straight. I had a worn, pitted C-clip, and groove in the shaft, and if it wobbles any, that's your problem. I ended up replacing the drive shaft, and clip, and no more problems.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by psycho rxp View Post
    What Prop, and nozzle size are u running? u may have too much power , and too small of prop, or too large of a nozzle exit. Try a smaller nozzle, and see if that does it.
    ALSO

I would also look at the floating ring on the drive shaft while running to see if it wobbles some, or is perfectly straight. I had a worn, pitted C-clip, and groove in the shaft, and if it wobbles any, that's your problem. I ended up replacing the drive shaft, and clip, and no more problems.
    i have tried many props, mainly use the 15/22 solas and 15/19 skat then i tweaked the skat for rpm but that didn`t help hole shot. i have a seadoo center drive shaft seal so no carbon set up, i resealed the shoe but without removing so i will test this to see if there is any improvement, if i get a little improvement then out she comes for a full re seal and alignment. thanks for the advice fellas

+1
    is there any way a miss aligned engine can cause cavitation ?? I had to move 3mm to the right and jack up left back 2mm, a fair bit but am still trying to find this dam problem. shimmed the shoe (was not to bad) resealed everything tried a few more different props, tall ones were not to bad but suck for hole shot in cc. there is something I am missing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information