Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    Banned User

Riva's pump extension

What's the deal with the Riva pump extension? I heard PBJ broke a extended drive shaft in in first few runs then took it back to Riva and they realligned his motor and installed another brand new drive shaft and it broke in 15 Minutes.
    Guys be very careful with these.. Jesse was lucky that no additional damage happen because of this.

+1
    Jesse, we need pics please. Pics better then any words that can be stated.
    I do have a question. I spoke to (Jesse) by pm last week and we were talking about speeds. He indicated that a plastic wear ring would be junk after 3 or 4 hours or use at 80 mph in his ski.
    Jesse i am not sure what you meant by that but seems odd.
    I am no expert but it seems that no matter what the Horsepower, one should not wear out any kind of ring in 3 hours without bad alignment, or bad prop, or bad pump condition.

I just removed a brand new wear ring in my RXP that had 10 hours and it came out just like it was brand new with zero wear indications at 79 mph.

Also i dont think the pump shoe was completely intact once they put in the 2nd drive shaft, basically the shoe was moded from stock for what ever reason just to get his boat going today.

again, i was not there, just going on what i have been told, so Jesse will have to clear up any mis information.

What about the other skis that ran the mod today without issues???????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????????????

Also I still am waiting to hear more about the other RXP that supposely had issues. this one is odd as no one is coming forward to say this really happened.

Like I said pics would be best answer to this situation and i feel confident that if Riva does find an issue with the product that it will be corrected.

I am not saying, or pointing in any direction, I just think we need to look at all the facts, before we come to conclusion that the drive shaft is defective.

Alex i am not saying that you were stating anything either i just thought i would say what i said before the thread ended up being a Riva bashing thread. In fact I appreciate you letting everone to be careful.

Anything is possible but we need to wait to see.

I will be testing kit in the morning so we will see what happens.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex13 View Post
    What's the deal with the Riva pump extension? I heard PBJ broke a extended drive shaft in in first few runs then took it back to Riva and they realligned his nmotor and installed another brand new drive shaft and it broke in 15 Minutes.
    Guys be very careful with these.. Jesse was lucky that no additional damage happen because of this.

Alex, not sure exactly what is going on but Jesse had a severely improperly installed pump shoe. Bruce tried a quick fix to get him back out on the water today but warned him that it might not hold up and it didn't. The shoe must be ripped out and installed properly. Bruce will be working on Jesse's ski Monday morning and I'm sure pics will follow.

Also, Jesse's ski is the ONLY ski that suffered a drive shaft failure. The ski that rxp255 is talking about on the other forum is Jesse's ski. Alex, do you know who rxp255 is? He has an alias.... Take a wild guess

Some say, "the alignment can't be that bad as the stock drive shaft did not break" Well, you must consider that the extended drive shaft is 2 inches longer than stock. When the shoe is off by as much as Jesse's was that 2" puts a lot more leverage on the shaft where it enters the PTO. Leverage is a very powerful thing!

There are quite a few pump extension kits on customers skis right now with no issues. In fact, two of them were at the hydrodrags today with no issues. One of them even ran 90.1
    I'm not saying there isn't a problem with these drive shafts but the shafts breaking on Jessie's ski seem to be an isolated incidence. If there is indeed a problem with the shafts i assure you Riva will make good on it.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by skoepp View Post
    I do have a question. I spoke to (Jesse) by pm last week and we were talking about speeds. He indicated that a plastic wear ring would be junk after 3 or 4 hours or use at 80 mph in his ski.

Exactly! This should throw up a big red flag!

Lets just say PB/Jesse's pump shoe is off, the drive shaft shouldn't break with in 15 minutes of riding b/c the original drive shaft did not break at St.johns river that we put over 5 hours in the ski 84.2 mph! The guys at Riva are a class act like Dave. The drive shafts that we have is a different batch from the proto type1. It's not riva's fault, but who ever made these drive shaft did not make them strong enough! I am going to try mine out tommorrow, my pump shoe is the original one. There are only 16 hours on my ski, we checked the alignment, so we will see what happens!! I am just afraid when the drive shaft breaks, where does the metal go??? WE'LL SEE WHAT HAPPENS.... WE COULD ALWAYS USE THE PUMP EXTENSION AS AN ANCHOR!! I don't know which is worse Riva's drive shaft or the original seadoo washers!!

+1
    Jimmy, there just may be a problem with this batch of drive shafts but only time will tell. I look forward to hearing about your ride tomorrow. Hopefully all goes well and we have no reason for alarm.

+1
    speaking to Jesse today he was saying adding the pump extension lost 2 mph..something tells me there's other issues. hence the pump shoe misalignment talk.

Nothin' better than Doo'in it! BigDaddyRXP's Avatar
    +1
    This is very disturbing information Just got my kit this week after waiting 2 months and $1200... Now I'm scared to put the shit on my ski

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Hulk View Post
    I'm not saying there isn't a problem with these drive shafts but the shafts breaking on Jessie's ski seem to be an isolated incidence. If there is indeed a problem with the shafts i assure you Riva will make good on it.
    While disappointed to learn of Jesse's misfortune today, I will say we ran the hell out of our skis last weekend, including numerous 80+ mph runs throughout the day, and Jesse's ski ran brilliantly. However, excessive wearing of wear rings does suggest an alignment or other issue(s).

As for Riva, Riva is one of the most outstanding manufacturers in the PWC industry (a couple PWC manufacturers should take a page from Riva's customer service and integrity - bar none, the best in the industry). If their product has a defect, Riva will make good and then some.

As an aside, I'm not a kissass. I just appreciate and have a tremendous amount of respect for a company with this level of integrity.

So Jerry, +1 on Riva.

Lastly, I am quite curious/concerned about what has happen with Jesse's pump extension today. As an owner of an RXP-X that runs in the low 80's and being held back in view of bucking hazards, I consider the pump extension a critical piece of equipment.

+1
    Jessie had a problem,

Riva was waiting with 4 people and a new pump and extention in thier hands
    when Jessie pulled up.

He rode his ski at 8.30 am this morning and it broke. Nothing hurt me more than to see two of my friends, Jessie and Frank not lining up next to Reid today to be in the finals to split inches.

Maybe there is something wrong with Jessies ski. Either way this did not have to hit the airways from someones sight who did not even have a ski in the race in his own back yard.

I call bull shit. And will reverse my decision if Jessies ski is not faster or breaks again when Riva is done with it.

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information