Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 99 XPL

+1

99 XPL

Hello peeps. My neighbor has temporarily acquired a 99 xpl from a friend of his. The motor was rebuilt, has oil injection also. A compression check has nto been done yet as the battery is dead, but was told the motor runs just fine.

The trailer is a painted trailer and is fine. the hull needs some pretty extensive hull repair at the front. The rubrail area needs to be rebuilt and the front bow eye loop broken and needs the glass to be built back up to accommodate the stress needed to be used properly again. There is also a good size area about the size of a football near the center that needs glass work also.

So assuming, the motor runs fine, compression checks good, what is your opinion of what this ski is worth? He's trying to see if it is worth purchasing. $600-800.00 ? considering all the glasswork it needs?..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo1.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	172.0 KB 
ID:	104434   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo2.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	171.4 KB 
ID:	104435   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo3.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	135.7 KB 
ID:	104436   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo4.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	174.0 KB 
ID:	104437  

+1
    DAMN!!!!! what happened???

ya seriously? what did he hit? thats alot of work to get it structurally correct again.

+1
    I don't know specifics on the damage. Not relevent at this point. My neighbor is needing input/opinion on what this is worth considering the damage it has. also assuming the motor checks out good.

sO....any thoughts/opinions/ideas/input....

My guess/opinion, is roughly 500-750 with all the glasswork that has been done. and you are correct, there is alot to be done to get is structurally right again. especially in the bow eye area. glasswork is expensive and not cheap. And has to be done right. and my thoughts are 600-800 w/trailer. again, all assumptions that the motor is good.

This ski will be 10 years old in January.....

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Check the top deck and see if it spider cracked the gel coat, at the front of the footwells, and rear around the mat area. If so, then the hull needs to be scrapped.

Mine did this when it got t-boned by another XPL and the XPL launched 10' above it and landed on the beach.

Anytime the bond line gets busted, the integrity of the hull is gone.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 96XPSS View Post
    Check the top deck and see if it spider cracked the gel coat, at the front of the footwells, and rear around the mat area. If so, then the hull needs to be scrapped.

Mine did this when it got t-boned by another XPL and the XPL launched 10' above it and landed on the beach.

Anytime the bond line gets busted, the integrity of the hull is gone.
    Thanks 99

that is a parts boat with an engine that has never been apart (or rebuilt) and a pipe that has. make sure you remove raves and look for water scoring on pistons. $600 bucks max as it sits with unknowns - assuming he wants to part or own a parts boat. if you keep a watch, someone will have a decent xpl hull for sale near you sooner or later. if you decide to look for a good hull, you may want to keep paperwork from that one if you know what i mean.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ohell View Post
    that is a parts boat with an engine that has never been apart (or rebuilt) and a pipe that has. make sure you remove raves and look for water scoring on pistons. $600 bucks max as it sits with unknowns - assuming he wants to part or own a parts boat. if you keep a watch, someone will have a decent xpl hull for sale near you sooner or later. if you decide to look for a good hull, you may want to keep paperwork from that one if you know what i mean.
    thanks so much

Its funny people who know they can sell the cases alone for 400 bucks tell you its only worth 600 bucks. LOL

As for buying it to repair, likely not worth it. As for buying it to part it out, and to use that money to buy a running one, that would be the route I'd go.

it takes a little work to tear down to a state where you have 400 buck cases. then when you get there, you hope the cases are worth 400 bucks.

i have popped open a few engines- especially counter balance motors - i know enough to know that one never knows what your getting till you open them up and look. ever meet a really hot girl who looks good on outside, next thing you know she's leaving a tooth brush at your house about the same time you really learn on the inside she is a psycho-biotch

it is always a crap shoot. if you look at picture the head pipe has been off. for all i know engine sucked in enough water (texas is close to salt) to make it nasty on inside.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information