Question 2003 GTX DI fuel pump

Hi,

What are the most common symptoms when a DI fuel pump start to play up?

Is it possible that the pump could play up for a bit then then come good again, meaning the pump is on its way out?

Went out for a long ride today and on the return trip the ski started to play up. I first noticed it would only rev to about 6200rpm (was hitting 6850rpm for 3 hours before that). Then it started to miss and splatter a bit at around 4000rpm. It proceeded to cut out and would cut out while idling, but it would not cut out like if I pulled the key, its was hunting around for a bit and then died. After towing the ski for about 2 miles and managing to keep it at idle with no throttle application it seemed to have come good again. I then rode it back but kept the revs around 5500rpm as I concerned about not getting back so took it easy (20mile trip).

This looks like a fuel issue. Ski had a fresh tank to high octane fuel and fuel filter is 15 hours old. I know the DI have fuel pump issues and have a small tolerance for fuel pressure drop. Ski has bone about 120 hours.

Apart from the pump, what else should I be checking? I had it run on the hose for 10 minutes with no issues and it revved ok without choking or starving for fuel.

Cheers

You are right that the '03s (and maybe '04s) had fuel pump problems. Many didn't make it to 100 hours. I understand that BRP changed fuel pump manufacturers and the new pumps do not have those problems. But the pumps are pricey. I'm surprised that no one has found a cheap automotive substitute... Ron

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1

injection fuel pumps are notorious

for problems on cars.....

I seem to have a problem with my gtx-rfi, but since I already own an expensive fuel pressure guage for automotive use, I'm not about to pop for the special seadoo version. I'm planning on getting a schrader adapter from a polaris and install it on the fuel line of my rfi, then I can watch the fuel pressure while I'm on the water to see what's _really_ going on. I'm thinking about installing a few instruments on my ski, as I don't have a steady ride partner and I'd like to know when I'm going to be needing to get my flare gun out. ( a VHF radio is on my list also)

No ocean riding, but a 26 mile long lake..and I'm not keen on paddling, but I have to avoid the maniac jet boat traffic, so I'm planning on going to the less traveled areas to play..once my ski proves out to be a relaible runner ( I'm at the point now that I'm running it on the trailer in the water since It's stranded me twice with regulator problems) Still waiting for WSM to replace the two cheap regulators that died on the vine ( I was planning on carrying a spare, but I didn't expect such pooor quality control ( well maybe I did, the price was half of what seadoo gets)

If you don't have a pressure guage yet, be smarter then me and buy one that has the line adapter you can slpice into your feed line ( use one time clamps, don't trust hose clamps, di pressure sare higher then rfi pressures) then you can see if it's really the fuel pressure, or some other problem.

I'm sure there is a suitable automotive pump, but I for one won't risk my skin trying one out. It's hairy enough just going into a tank to get the pump out when the tank is all plastic, imagine the sphincter factor trying to ease one out of a metal fuel tank with a 20 gallon capacity in a cramped space in the trunk area.

So the issues that I had are most likely to be fuel pump related?
    Could anything else had caused the issues I had and then come good about 30min later?

Quote Originally Posted by King_Of_Fun View Post
    You are right that the '03s (and maybe '04s) had fuel pump problems. Many didn't make it to 100 hours. I understand that BRP changed fuel pump manufacturers and the new pumps do not have those problems. But the pumps are pricey. I'm surprised that no one has found a cheap automotive substitute... Ron
    Do you know if all the DIs had same fuel pumps? Or are the pumps different for RX/GTX and year etc?

Cheers

Thread Information