Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thumbs up Worx Sponsons Test on F-15X

I tested tthe Worx Sponsons over the weekend for the F-15X. I rode in the ocean in mild choppy conditions & semi protected water in a couple of Bays on Magnetic Island. I also tested them riding 2 up.

I started off with them on the aggressive setting.

From the outset going across to the Island, I immediatly noticed the difference. The ski held its line better in the cross chop & was easier to handle when the ski re-entered the water when riding hard across the chop. The slight tendency for the back of the ski to slide a bit was greatly reduced.

In the protected water, it almost eliminated the back end slide when turning hard. When turning at WOT you had the confidence to know the ski was going to keep its line, even when getting some bounce from small rolling swell. Mind you, you had to hang tight on when doing a WOT hard turn.

When I adjusted them to the less aggresive setting, the ski still held its line on hard turns, but with a slight tail slide. I could spin the back out if I wanted to but you had to turn sharper than with the OEM sponsons.

The less aggressive setting would be ideal for the social rider who wants a bit more control of the back of the ski.

When riding 2 up there was also big difference, especially when riding WOT through the mild chop. The ski held its line a lot better and was no where near as physically demanding to control the ski.

The passenger said it was a better ride with the Worx sponsons than with the OEMs. He said, he wasn't thrown around as much with the Worx.

Basically the Worx Sponsons gave you more confidence to go hard on the ski.

I think with the Worx Intake Grate & Sponsons combination. The F-15X with be an better open water ski than it already is.

The intake grate will be a few more months, because we are unable to send Worx our grate until the middle of December because we have further testing of mods (ViPEC ECU) in the next 2 weeks & will be racing the ski after that.

I will be doing more testing on the 7th & 8th December in smooth waters & will post the results after that. Although I will be racing, I will get an opportunity to do some testing over that weekend under normal riding conditions. I will also have a chance to do more open water & river rides the week after the racing, in different conditions.

I have no doubt the handling improvements in smooth water will be just as good, as they were in the open water.

Pat

+1
    Nice to hear Pat. If the 15F can truly see 70MPH and feel pretty good in the water, it may be back to the top of my list...although you can sure get Yami parts up the wazoo.

+1
    rumour has it that pats honda is busting 70 easy.....

Quote Originally Posted by JET250 View Post
    rumour has it that pats honda is busting 70 easy.....
    thats no rumour.....

you can add a few to that figure too

was only in closed circuit set up though, if it were set up for speed only...... we'll... we will let your imagination go there..

71.5mph @6990 with stock nozzle and no changes to ski other than ecu

74mph @ 7080 with 2.5 degree milled nozzle

1/3 tank fuel 31 degrees air temp.

flat water these speeds were done at the Australian flat water titles 29th March

+1
    Those are great numbers. Does it look like the Honda could be competitive?

+1
    The Honda already is competitive. Region 1 champ, Rockstar Energy/Honda Nick Vanis is already clocking 75.2mph with the Macsboost ECU and intercooler and all prototype R&D sponsons, intake grate, and straight exhaust. It's pretty interesting stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by vnm02 View Post
    71.5mph @6990 with stock nozzle and no changes to ski other than ecu

74mph @ 7080 with 2.5 degree milled nozzle

1/3 tank fuel 31 degrees air temp.

flat water these speeds were done at the Australian flat water titles 29th March
    That engine must be a torquey little bugger to acheive those speeds with such relatively low rpm. I suspect the Vipec must take a lot of the credit.
    Well done.

Cheers

Chris.

The honda is torquey, They use a high pitched impellor to achieve their speeds at low rpm.

eg R12x standard 59-60mph @ 6100rpm

F15x standard 63mph @ 6400 rpm

Quote Originally Posted by vnm02 View Post
    The honda is torquey, They use a high pitched impellor to achieve their speeds at low rpm.

eg R12x standard 59-60mph @ 6100rpm

F15x standard 63mph @ 6400 rpm
    An 8.5 mph gain from the vipec ecu,.....I am very impressed!!
    I love my RXT but that 15x has to be the best looking ski on the market!

Cheers

Chris.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information