Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

96 seadoo xp 800 over heating ? ? ? ? Help ?

my 96 seadoo xp runs great untill its up to operating temp. after about 20 min of average riding, not too aggressive, when full throttled, the rpms will go up like normal, then drop, then back up then drop. im wondering if something in te e-box could be getting too hot ? when i park it for about an hour or so, its fine. runs great till it gets back up to operating tep. then it starts all over again. anybody have this proplem? i have 2 of these skis and they both started doing it within a few weeks of each other. thanks !

jeffz0rz

+1
    are the original grey fuel lines still in the xp? sounds like you maybe running lean

+1
    Carbs need to be cleaned/rebuilt & all fuel line replaced.

mine was doing the exact same thing a few weeks ago. change the fuel lines and rebuild the carbs. is it actually overheating? does the beeper go off?

Can't tell on your description, but does the ski sound like it's hitting a constant rev limiter?

And like redemn above me said, does the beeper and temp light actually go off to indicate an overheat situation?

no beeper, no light, nothing. i only assumed that it could be over heating because the ski only boggs down after 30-45 min of riding. never happens when cold. only when up to operating temp. at WOT the rpms go up like normal, then way way down, then back up, tehn way down. and will do this the rest of the day, unless i park it for an hour or more. after the ski is nice and cool she runs just fine untill i get it back up to operating temp. carbs are freshly cleaned, and still running the stock grey lines. i noticed alot of people trashing the stock grey lines and replacing them. why is this ? are they faulty ? they seem to be in excelent shape on my ski. i will replace tem and see if that changes anything. any other ideas ?
    thanks guys.

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Were the internal filter screens in the carbs cleaned too?

Loosen the gas cap the next time the problem occurs. You may have a bad check valve.

yes sir. spotless. its strange that it only boggs after riding for 30-45 min. if there was a clog, or a dirty filter screen, wouldnt it bogg down all the time? not just when it gets hot ?

+1
    try what 96xpss said about the vent, did you also clean out the fuel selector? also how fresh is the gas in the tank....just making sure all the basics are checked first

fresh fuel, did not clean out the feul selector though. i wil try the vent next time i'm out, but i'm wondering if the vent was bad, then wouldnt it bog down all the time ? not just after it cooled down ? just curious.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information