Wifi cell phone's?

I'm currently a T-Mobile customer and I'm looking to upgrade to a Wifi phone. My question that I can't get a straight answer to is if I had a Wifi phone and did NOT pay for T-Mobile's internet service monthly could/would I be able to connect to Starbuck's Wifi or my home router putting in the WPA key? Is a phone that has Wifi basically the same as a laptop having Wifi, can you connect to any router unlocked or router locked if you have the password? I can't get ANY straight info from cell phone providers and I can't believe my friends and noone I work with hasn't tried this. Thanks for any info.

Quote Originally Posted by STXR814 View Post
    I'm currently a T-Mobile customer and I'm looking to upgrade to a Wifi phone. My question that I can't get a straight answer to is if I had a Wifi phone and did NOT pay for T-Mobile's internet service monthly could/would I be able to connect to Starbuck's Wifi or my home router putting in the WPA key? Is a phone that has Wifi basically the same as a laptop having Wifi, can you connect to any router unlocked or router locked if you have the password? I can't get ANY straight info from cell phone providers and I can't believe my friends and noone I work with hasn't tried this. Thanks for any info.
    i was looking into this too. If it has WIFI capabilities YES you can hook up to Starbucks of home router. thats what i was told.

+1
    Yes you can, but T Mobile is pulling there usual crap with the Google phone that you must have there internet service ($25-$35) extra every month to use the phone.

Phone is OK, wifi is good, 3g is OK

Quote Originally Posted by Mike's GPR View Post
    Yes you can, but T Mobile is pulling there usual crap with the Google phone that you must have there internet service ($25-$35) extra every month to use the phone.

Phone is OK, wifi is good, 3g is OK
    Now when you refer to "their internet service" that is what I've been told by most and some I haven't. But for instance, lets say my wife is on my laptop at the house Wifi and then I had a Wifi phone via T-Mobile and wasn't paying for their monthy fee what is keeping me from connecting to my router with my phone to check my email at my house?

Married the love of my Life Mayday 2008 SuperCharged03's Avatar

Thumbs up

I have Sprint Mougal. BUT I also have the everything plan for $99 which includes Sprint's internet. But when I am at home I flip the switch and use my wireles there as it is faster than Sprint. Love my phone, not so sure how I ever lived with out it and all it can doo for me.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperCharged03 View Post
    I have Sprint Mougal. BUT I also have the everything plan for $99 which includes Sprint's internet. But when I am at home I flip the switch and use my wireles there as it is faster than Sprint. Love my phone, not so sure how I ever lived with out it and all it can doo for me.

Thank you.

Married the love of my Life Mayday 2008 SuperCharged03's Avatar
    Glad I could help.

+1
    T Mobile is a little different with the G1. Only current wifi phone I am aware of with T Mobile.

You "agree" to a 2 year internet data plan with the purchase of the G1. There customer service reps make you have a internet plan on your account. I am still trying to use the phone and wifi only as thats all I need. T Mobile advises you that the phone will not work without the data plan. Not sure how accurate this is. But T Mobile is really trying hard to get the extra $ for the data plans for everyone that uses this phone.

But with the G1 it automatically switches from the T Mobile network over to a local wifi when available.

Thread Information