Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

sho ride plate - update

Update ---
    Fitted R&D a Pro Series Ride Plate to my Yamaha SHO the speedo pickup is in the WRONG position and only works occasionally.
    Contacted the supplying dealer who contacted R&D who have basically stated that THE CASTING MOULD IS NOW MADE AND IN USE AND THAT THE SPEEDO IS INEFFECTIVE ANYWAY - SO BUY A GPS. In other words are happy to sell the product but now don't want to know! - Don't think this is right, DO YOU !!!!

No I do not think it is right.

I had same issue with Riva plate on my HO and Riva basically game me same answer you got.

My stock speedo was somewhat near accurate and was good for a quick glance for a general speed number.
    I was told to clean out speedo wheel and lubricate.
    Did nothing.

Loss of speedo is something we have to accept with after market plate. I wonder if Island racing plate has same issues?

Quote Originally Posted by Eccy View Post
    Update ---
    Fitted R&D a Pro Series Ride Plate to my Yamaha SHO the speedo pickup is in the WRONG position and only works occasionally.
    Contacted the supplying dealer who contacted R&D who have basically stated that THE CASTING MOULD IS NOW MADE AND IN USE AND THAT THE SPEEDO IS INEFFECTIVE ANYWAY - SO BUY A GPS. In other words are happy to sell the product but now don't want to know! - Don't think this is right, DO YOU !!!!

I do have one of these plates. I would suggest that the speedo wheel was moved to reduce drag. I have no additional issues with the OEM speedo, but it is indeed worthless and if you want real, accurate speeds a GPS is the defacto standard.

+1
    I know several other guys have been able to get the speedo to work on the R&D plate, but the biggest complaint I've read many times about R&D is their quality control on cast parts(especially steering nozzles). As plates are stacked at the factory, the ones on the bottom can be bent from the weight of the ones stacked on top. I have heard from a reliable source this has been an issue in the past. I would pull it off and make sure it's not deformed, and if so insist they replace it. That was kind of a shitty response from them, especially since it's advertised to work with the stock speedo.

+1
    Dreamo speedo's don't work on any ride plate. Mine was a good 8-10 mph off on the stock plate. I don't even look at it anymore.

+1
    send it back and get a refund, as long as we keep accepting crap like this they will continue to sell it

Quote Originally Posted by philip_gpr View Post
    send it back and get a refund, as long as we keep accepting crap like this they will continue to sell it
    Riva have emailed me and said that their one will be ready for mid Dec. I ordered a R&D one and sent it straight back for a refund as it looked so poorly made.. and fit was poor

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by SHOdude View Post
    Dreamo speedo's don't work on any ride plate. Mine was a good 8-10 mph off on the stock plate. I don't even look at it anymore.
    Yea, mine has developed a tendency to go up to 72 @ WOT then after a couple seconds drop to 63. At lower speed though, it is pretty close to accurate(within 1 mph). I really only use it now for judging how much current I am running against.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by philip_gpr View Post
    Good info Philip-gpr Tommy Jordan

I have the r&d plate and my speedo works just as it did before the plate?? you didn't put the wheel in backwards did you?? just wondering...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information