SL750 Return Restrictor

Did the 1995 model year not have the restrictor in the return line? I just bought one and I am updating everything. I pulled the return line, and no cable tie on it or restrictor in it.

Maybe the previous owners replaced the lines and chucked the restrictor?

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    I'm going to say it had one. Part #14 in the diagram.
    http://partsland.com/index.cgi?N=122...50-FUEL-SYSTEM

I also have a 95 SL750 and you bet there is a restrictor in the return line.. Cya Slick

Ok, I am getting a bit confused here. I took apart the carbs and started to clean them. I noticed that each carb has a small restrictor built into the back plate of the carb.

This means that I don't need the fuel restrictor?? Also I noticed that the return line barb is on the PTO carb. My other two SLs have the fitting on the MAG side and they both have a return restrictor.

What's going on? Did Polaris change things around from year to year just for fun? I also read on the the forums that the restrictor could be in the return barb fitting on some years.

I'm starting to see why their PWC engineering costs were high...making changes all the time.

+1
    The internal restrictor is normal. You still need the return hose restrictor.

The 92-95 650/750 had the return on the PTO carb, also needed the external restrictor.

In 95, 96, 97, the 780 had the integrated restrictor inside the return nipple.

The 780 carbs also have the return hose fitting on the MAG carb. I believe the throttle cable location switched sides too.

Quote Originally Posted by xlint89 View Post
    The internal restrictor is normal. You still need the return hose restrictor.

The 92-95 650/750 had the return on the PTO carb, also needed the external restrictor.

In 95, 96, 97, the 780 had the integrated restrictor inside the return nipple.

The 780 carbs also have the return hose fitting on the MAG carb. I believe the throttle cable location switched sides too.
    Im running a 95 780 carb on my 750 and its the same design as the 650's, except it has the restrictor in the PTO carb and the fuel inlets are facing the wrong way, but there is only one per cab, so nothing to block off with a tripple outlet pump.

Ok, I am curious to know why the 650 and 750 Fuji engines needed two restrictors in the fuel system.

As confirmed by many people there is a small orifice on the back plate of each carb. It looks small to me, around .020-.030"??

Why do we need a second fuel restrictor in the returns lines, when each carb already has a restrictor? The only thing I can think of is that the orifice in the carbs is not small enough to generate enough back pressure.

Why didn't Polaris or Fuji just ask Mikuni to decrease the size of the orifice in each Carb back plate?

+1
    My guess is the carbs internal restrictor is to regulate each carb, while the return restrictor regulated fuel pump pressure as a whole. Just a guess though.

+1
    I couldn't imagine the cost of all that carburetor inventory, especially when you can solve the problem with a 5 cent restrictor.

+1
    I have a 94 sl and it has a restrictor at the end of the fuel rail on the return line about a half inch from the rail with a black twist tie around it. Not sure about my 95slt/ I never have looked for it.lol I guess I'll find out in the spring when I do the triple carb update on this one,,,

Thread Information