Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thumbs up Invitation to All Open/Unlimited Runabout Racers

RPM RACING ENTERPRISES is announcing the 2008 Salton Sea Speedweek to be held December 5 & 6, 2008 at the Salton Sea Recreation Park (North Shore).
    This is an open invitation to all "Open & Unlimited Class Stand Up's and Runabouts" to get into the APBA record books by establishing a true speed mark at the Salton Sea Kilo's (APBA record runs) and December 7th (Offshore P.O.P.R.A. runs).

A Little Background:
    Bringing back boat racing to the Salton Sea is both an exciting yet at the same time a daunting proposition. The Salton Sea, (aka- the “Sea”) was an important piece of racing history dating back to the late 20’s when power boat racing was in it’s infancy. Many, many races were held on the “Sea” but none more famous than the Salton Sea ‘500’ Endurance race which featured some of the biggest names of our sport and the time, including two astronauts and a President’s son. The idea of holding a “Bonneville” type Speed Week on Water whereby all types of boats from professional racing craft- Hydroplanes, Runabouts, Vee’s, Cat’s, PWC’s, etc. and even the average pleasure boater could come and try to either break an existing speed record or establish a new speed mark holds great promise in the racing world as well as great benefits to the Salton Sea community at large. In the past, there have been many water speed records set on Salton Sea and most still believe this would be the perfect venue for this great event that can garner both National and World Wide attention. There will be tremendous publicity prior to the event in all national and international boating/PWC magazine coverage as well as local and possibly national televison coverage.

The Centurion Boats presents the 2008 Salton Sea Speedweek will be a 3 day event held on December 5, 6 & 7, 2008 at the Salton Sea Recreation Park in North Shore. This “Kilos” only event will see some of the best know names of our sport going for a record on the 227 feet below sea level water that also happens to be 1.5 the salinity of the ocean. The density along with the buoyancy factor makes this one of the fastest, if not the fastest water in the world. More records were set and broken at the “sea” than any other place in the United States.

The “Kilometer” or 5/8 mile “flying” time trials is done as follows: a designated “course” is surveyed and set up, in this case a 1-2 mile stretch of water (for run up and run down) that is unobstructed and nearly straight that is also close to shore would be required in it will be place the “traps” that is the beginning and end of the 5/8 mile run. The APBA/U.I.M. kilo record is a combined average of both way pass speeds. Each driver/rider will have 2 sets of runs per day to attempt to set or establish their record in accordance with the American Power Boat Association (APBA) and Union of International Motonautique (U.I.M.) rules and guidelines. The pit facility at the Salton Sea Recreation Park is large and very well situated as is the fresh water wash down area along with the newly dredged bay and brand new launch ramp.
    This event is a vital step in the process and has long term ramifications as to the future of racing on the sea.

If this event is a success RPM RACING ENTERPRISES has plans in 2009 to do in addition to the Salton Sea Speedweek, the Salton Sea ‘300’ – a 300 mile PWC endurance race as part of the APBA (American Power Boat Association) "Triple Crown of Endurance racing"- (the 2009 Mark Hahn Memorial, The 2009 Long Beach to Catalina & Back APBA PWC Offshore National Championships and culminating with The Salton Sea '300'. The hope is that this initial “Bonneville” on water event will spawn more interest in the sea and from a racing standpoint will help reinvigorate racing on the "Sea".

PWC Classes that are eligible for APBA Speed Records in 2008 are:
    Stand Up Open
    R/A Open
    *Stand Up Ski Unlimited (no CC limit)
    *Unlimited R/A (no CC limit)

If you would like more information, please contact Ross Wallach at (310) 318-4012 with any questions. For technical questions please contact Patrick Mell at (586) 598-2856.
    Last edited by rpmracingent; 11-19-2008 at 10:34 PM.

+1
    Do the conversion skis qualify for the GP class?

+1
    Sounds awsome!!!! I wish there were something like this on the east coast!!!

Fat Man, Little Boat Region8Ultra250X's Avatar
    +1
    people on the east coast need to speak up about this... if there is interest the promoter will run it.... i can get this organized if there is enough interest,

The ski's have taken a "backseat" to the Corvette DarthAWM's Avatar
    What about the salinity of the Salton Sea? Will this pose problems with corrosion on exposed aluminum? The water density will surely hurt top end on the PWCs running

Thumbs up Yes, Joe

Joe, your Spitfire qualifies as a Unlmited Runabout, notice the NO CC Limit.
    Just got the approval from APBA, waiting for the U.I.M. to bless it to become a "world record" as well.
    There is plenty of washdown with freshwater to run the boats through and through the engines but no worse than a weekend of playing in the ocean.
    Hope to see you all there.
    Ross Wallach, RPM RACING ENT.
    Last edited by rpmracingent; 11-19-2008 at 10:35 PM.

"WORLD RECORDS"....If my name is Joe, Mark, or own a GPRX WHATEVER, I'm all over this one! Bragging rights on "World Record" dont come along that often!

+1
    count me in.....Hydro, Can I use your rude charger and your st/st 800 grate for the weekend?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Insanediego Joe View Post
    count me in.....Hydro, Can I use your rude charger and your st/st 800 grate for the weekend?
    He said NO!

+1
    Fine Ill just use his turbo carbon fiber black bird!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information