View Poll Results: Modifications to the HYDRODRAG event

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Lengthen the drag strip to 1000 ft and keep the launch pad

1 2.63%
  • Change the launch pad and keep the strip 1/8 mile

7 18.42%
  • Change the launch pad and make the strip 1000 ft.

10 26.32%
  • Leave both things the way they are

20 52.63%
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

HYDRODRAGS modifications to the event

This thread is for rider and spectator input. Tim obviously needs a loudspeaker device of some sort so he doesn't have to yell. And better safety as in an ambulance on standby. And change the class rules, mainly limited. Stock and unlimited are pretty well designed.

Other than that, the two main propositions I'd like to push for are lengthening the track a bit and changing the launch pad design. Vote according to your opinion and feel free to add other suggestions. Of course there is no guarantee that the event will change at all, but that doesn't mean we can't try.

Brief launch pad description: add a platform to each side of the current launch pad. Put the skis on the existing bunks, but don't raise them out of the water. Have one person on each side of each ski holding it in place. Make sure the rider is not on the throttle. Drop the hands and go. Red flag them if they false start and make sure the people holding the skis don't get their arms ripped out of the sockets.

Brief distance description: lengthen the drag strip a little that way top speed has a slightly higher effect. Don't extend it all the way to 1/4 mile, but add to the 1/8 mile. That way we can see some people get passed during the race instead of whoever holeshots is guaranteed the victory. Maybe a 1000 ft. strip instead of 660.

cheatin' piston popper addicted's Avatar
    +1
    I would leave the course length alone. 8th mile is a standard length. What I would like to see is a 2nd pontoon on each side. put it on the outside of the cradles so that there is 1 on both sides of each ski. Also possibly add a pump and air compressor so that the barge can be leveled by adding /subtracting ballast like a submarine. That would take away weight from the equation. lastly, install a real drag tree, and have a solenoid release the lifts when the green light goes.

Other than that the only real "problem" that I saw with the event was a lack of preparedness for the amount of participants. more techs are needed, a better traffic control system at the ramp, and for Christ sake put speakers on the opposite bank aiming AT the crowd and pits.

Either way, I thought it was a very cool event and I am going to try to compete in the next one.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by addicted View Post
    Either way, I thought it was a very cool event and I am going to try to compete in the next one.

You on the Raider and Me on the Polaris that would be a good race. We need to get some drags in the NE..

+1

What about Indy

The capitol of motorsports. Maybe not here at Steve and I's test track(Though it would be PERFCT racing conditons) There are several places that would suit this type of racing and with the right promoting, spectator participation would be off the charts if done at the right time. My buddy is the afternoon DJ here for X103. I know he would be into helping out with the promoting. We have a hometown hero here as well

+1
    I thought they improved a lot from April. The platform was much better anchored and the people that took the time to practice did very well.

660' seems pretty good to me as well for a drag event. 1000' for these skis is more of a topend event, in fact I don't think any of the speed alley participants used much more then that.

The water conditions weren't very good this time but there really isn't much Tim can do about mother nature. For this type of event the location is going to be very hard to beat.

Most of us bitched about to many official boats on the water in April causing to many waves during the event. I personally don't want a boat running in circles at the end of the track stirring shit up and possibly being within striking distance if I come off the ski.

Tim will improve on this event too and things will be even better in the Spring.

what if you were to set up the launch pad to open like a horse race gate? And use a drag tree for the count down then once it hits green the gates are unlocked by a eletric switch?

+1
    I was also thinking maybe a standard Moto X gate but dropping away from the rider.

+1
    What needs to be changed with the limited class rules?

+1
    A big part of it is RXTs and P's with aftermarket intercoolers, increased airflow, and relocated exhausts need to be able to compete.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by JFizzleJR View Post
    A big part of it is RXTs and P's with aftermarket intercoolers, increased airflow, and relocated exhausts need to be able to compete.
    Aftermarket intercoolers may be allowed for limited class in the apba since the ijsba allows it, but i dont think even the ijsba allows relocated exhausts.

Why not just have stock, limited, open, and unlimited?
    I think Open would be a big class since there are alot of people running superchargers with modifed housings or have a spacer fan.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information