Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Unhappy Can't remove impeller/prop from shaft (770)

Hi Guys, I have a 1998 TS 770 and the impeller is rubbing so hard against the housing that the engine will not turn over even with the spark plugs out.

So I need to pull the impeller off the shaft. I have removed the outdrive unit and short shaft from the back so the impeller is just hanging from the main drive shaft, but it won't budge. I can only move it for and aft about 1/4" but whacking it with a hammer and bar does not help. I can pull the rubber nose cone away from the impller 1/4" but that's it.

What am I doing wrong? HELP !!!

Thanks

Paul

Tigershark u know u want 1 cucchiara3000's Avatar
    i would put the whole pump back together and try and use an impac drill and the impellor removal tool to take the impellor off. But are you sure that the impellor is keeping it from turning over?

For sure this impeller is stuck on the shaft

Hi, thanks for the reply. Yes the impeller is rubbing hard enough to stop the unit from turning over. Now that I have removed the stator and wear ring assembly, I can turn the engine over really easy. Unfortunately the impeller is still on the end of the drive shaft - just hanging there out back of the ski, but it won't come off the shaft, no matter how much I whack it ,and I don't want to break anything.

These are not threaded onto the shaft, just splines, right?

If I had your same problem, this is how I'd TRY to remove it:
    Pull the driveshaft and impeller from coupler. I'd use leather gloves to grab on the impeller with my hands with out cutting them up as I pulled it out of the engine & hull.
    I would then put the driveshaft in a vise or use c-clamps, wrap rubber or some material in the jaw area to help hold it in place and not scar the shaft when it's clamped in place. Then I'd use a small propane torch, heat evenly around the end of the driveshaft/impeller area, pull the heat away and quickly smack the end of the impeller with a rubber deadblow hammer. It may take awhile going back and forth doing this method. When I'd hit the area, I would not be trying to go full strength, but with firm whacks. My thinking is I don't won't to screw with the balance of the prop or hit one of the blades and bend it.
    One other thought, another alternate method coming to mind, take the driveshaft out;tilt it vertically (prop end up). Spraying liberally, soak the inside of impeller with WD-40, or liquid wrench or PB blaster. Use compressed air to force the oil in to the end of the driveshaft. Go back every few hours spraying the oil and using air. The idea being to get the oil to break the corrosion bond between the impeller and the driveshaft end. Then put the shaft in a vise and firmly whack the end with a deadblow hammer.
    Good luck. Keep this thread alive with how you wind up taking it off.

mark
    Last edited by 2sharks2playwith; 11-19-2008 at 11:16 PM. Reason: Suck at grammar!

Red face

Okay, guess I'll have to pull the impeller AND the shaft off as a unit. One thing I'm thinking though, the impeller only rubs on the bottom half of the wear ring, so I wonder if this is an engine alignment issue rather than a bad bearing. All the bearings turn nice and smooth with my finger, and if it was a bad bearing the impeller would be rubbing all over the place, yes? Any thoughts?

PKSlice

If I had your same problem, this is how I'd TRY to remove it:
    Pull the driveshaft and impeller from coupler. I'd use leather gloves to grab on the impeller with my hands with out cutting them up as I pulled it out of the engine & hull.
    I would then put the driveshaft in a vise or use c-clamps, wrap rubber or some material in the jaw area to help hold it in place and not scar the shaft when it's clamped in place. Then I'd use a small propane torch, heat evenly around the end of the driveshaft/impeller area, pull the heat away and quickly smack the end of the impeller with a rubber deadblow hammer. It may take awhile going back and forth doing this method. When I'd hit the area, I would not be trying to go full strength, but with firm whacks. My thinking is I don't won't to screw with the balance of the prop or hit one of the blades and bend it.
    One other thought, another alternate method coming to mind, take the driveshaft out;tilt it vertically (prop end up). Spraying liberally, soak the inside of impeller with WD-40, or liquid wrench or PB blaster. Use compressed air to force the oil in to the end of the driveshaft. Go back every few hours spraying the oil and using air. The idea being to get the oil to break the corrosion bond between the impeller and the driveshaft end. Then put the shaft in a vise and firmly whack the end with a deadblow hammer.
    Good luck. Keep this thread alive with how you wind up taking it off.

My question would be then, was the engine pulled out and re-installed with out the alignment spacers? With out the alignment shims/spacers that could be a root cause of your issue.

mark

Quote Originally Posted by PKslice View Post
    Okay, guess I'll have to pull the impeller AND the shaft off as a unit. One thing I'm thinking though, the impeller only rubs on the bottom half of the wear ring, so I wonder if this is an engine alignment issue rather than a bad bearing. All the bearings turn nice and smooth with my finger, and if it was a bad bearing the impeller would be rubbing all over the place, yes? Any thoughts?

PKSlice

Getting the impeller off?

I'm not sure if the engine was pulled, I just bought this on eBay so I'll have to keep trying...

Thanks,

PKslice

any pics of the impeller/pump area? what I'm wondering is how you got the pump housing away from the impeller without removing the shaft. the impeller is torqued on the impeller shaft which is through the pump hsg and brgs. If the impellr was not torqued to the shaft that would let it drop and rub on your hsg. also if it has been ridden in salt water I've heard that some times the pump hsgs will warp or distort causing that same issue. good luck

+1
    welcome to the forum

Stuck impeller on shaft (TS770)

Hi,

I was able to pull pump and the wear ring by undoing the bolt end of the shorty shaft at the back of the ski. What is left though is the impeller hanging onto the end of the shaft that goes through the hull, and it won't some off. I'm still wondering about my original problem, which is that the impeller rubs really hard aginst the bottom of the wear ring - so much that it sticks and you have to reef with full force and a wrench to turn the drive shaft. All bearings seem good. I can see scrape marks on the inner bottom of the ring where the blades come into contact. This was ridden is salt water but I don't see corrosion. All I want to do is eliminate the point of contact - somehow centering the impeller within the wear ring - but I don't think there is any adjustment back there.

What to do... ?

PKSlice

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information