Question Riva Gen 1 ext IC water line routing

There has been discussion about where the inlet water line should enter the IC. For the most effective transfer of heat from the charged air to the cooling water, I understand the inlet water line should be @ the exit side for the air as it passes thru the heat exchanger. Also that the inlet water line should be ABOVE the outlet water line to try to alleviate any air being trapped in the water side of the exchanger. Looking @ the Riva Gen 1 IC this last statement is contradicted as the inlet water line is BELOW the outlet water line.
    Has anyone tried reversing the cooling lines entering/exiting the IC? This would accomplish getting the inlet line below the outlet line, but would contradict the thought of the cooler water being @ the air exit as now it would place it @ the air entry. Or is the better approach to add a by-pass line to the IC to keep air from being trapped in the water side of the IC?
    Forum members have added a by-pass line to the various ICs availale to use. If anyone has did this to a Riva Gen 1 IC I would appreciate pics showing placement. Also, how you went about it to ensure the core did not get damaged resulting in water leaking to the air side of the IC.

I think I followed the correct flow path. no issues, then switched over to independent water source for the IC. on the GTX it was pump>strainer>IC inlet>outlet hose> OEM bilge fitting in the transom/shoe... no issues.

if you ride in salt, just flush after every ride...

ttt ... looking for some forum wisdom on making the ext IC as efficient as possible.
    I am a fresh water rider always.

The inlet water should always be below the outlet water. That way the water coming in low will push the air out the exit at the top. If the inlet was higher than the outlet, then the air would be trying to float up as the water is pushing it down. And yes the inlet water should also come in on the air outlet side so the air hits the coldest water last. I work on industrial and commercial heating/cooling/process water and all heat exchangers should be piped this way.

It's not the destination, it's the journey!! Rip'nTear SHO's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dv8rxp View Post
    The inlet water should always be below the outlet water. That way the water coming in low will push the air out the exit at the top. If the inlet was higher than the outlet, then the air would be trying to float up as the water is pushing it down. And yes the inlet water should also come in on the air outlet side so the air hits the coldest water last. I work on industrial and commercial heating/cooling/process water and all heat exchangers should be piped this way.
    good info......

Bringing back up

Thanks DV for the valid info from someone with practical experience dealing with ICs.

In my first post I stated incorrectly the location of the hose connection for the Riva Gen 1 ext IC. (that is what I get for posting off memory, or lack of,while traveling for business). The inlet water line fitting is ABOVE the outlet water line fitting. Which has been pointed out is not the optimum way to have it setup for ensuring air is pushed out of the IC.

Anyone have any pics of adding a bypass/pisser line to a Riva Gen 1 IC? Would like to see where forum members have located the hose fitting for the line on this IC.

Bump
    Any pics out there?

Thread Information