Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

06 07 08 GPR Not Starting WHY

Guys lately here in Australia few guys with GPRs have some real issues.

SKi runs fine until you turn it off and then they won t re start they crank over but no go its happend to about 4 guys now from bone stock to some modified ski really weird to make things worse they get towed back to the ramp no go they drive home then some restart others might start the next day could this be like a TPS problem.

Have you guys experienced this

+1
    First thing is to check and make sure the throttle cable is adjusted properly.If the throttle blades(butterfly's) are not closed all the way,the ski will not start.I would start here first.Did these ski's have the throttle cable recall done?

Woody no recall done on mine yet I had my TBs off while doing airbox mods and after having the TPS issue the cable is now adjusted properly. Had the ski out since turned on and off 15-20 times no probs

Quote Originally Posted by Mik72e View Post
    to make things worse they get towed back to the ramp
    Never thought I'd be sitting on my ski getting towed down the river at 2-3mph by a doo! Two hour trip back to the ramp, was quite peaceful actually except for the ******* in the 40ft cruiser who went past at about 30mph

+1
    Theres a few things that the efi ski's really dont like that will cause them to not restart or run irratic. Throttle cable being improperly adjusted, water temp sensor failure, engine temp sensor failure, and a bad battery. The big plug on the harness, where the efi controller plugs in is prone to water if you remove the stock air hoses under the cowling. For the longest time I couldnt figure out why my ski would shut down in chop and not restart once it was ridden hard. I realized the big plug was hanging rite under the air intake which was causing it to get soaked. Salt water corodes quick! I cleaned and reloactaed the plug and haven't had a problem since. For the record, this plug being wet caused a false engine temp code, false tps code, and low voltage code....

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Inkaddict View Post
    The big plug on the harness, where the efi controller plugs in is prone to water if you remove the stock air hoses under the cowling. For the longest time I couldnt figure out why my ski would shut down in chop and not restart once it was ridden hard. I realized the big plug was hanging rite under the air intake which was causing it to get soaked. Salt water corodes quick! I cleaned and reloactaed the plug and haven't had a problem since. For the record, this plug being wet caused a false engine temp code, false tps code, and low voltage code....
    My ski last year was throwing an Engine temp sensor fault after a few hours riding, and would start to chew fuel and run very rich. It ended up being water in this big plug.

I just got electrical contact cleaner from an electrical shop, cleaned it up and fixed the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Inkaddict View Post
    Theres a few things that the efi ski's really dont like that will cause them to not restart or run irratic. Throttle cable being improperly adjusted, water temp sensor failure, engine temp sensor failure, and a bad battery. The big plug on the harness, where the efi controller plugs in is prone to water if you remove the stock air hoses under the cowling. For the longest time I couldnt figure out why my ski would shut down in chop and not restart once it was ridden hard. I realized the big plug was hanging rite under the air intake which was causing it to get soaked. Salt water corodes quick! I cleaned and reloactaed the plug and haven't had a problem since. For the record, this plug being wet caused a false engine temp code, false tps code, and low voltage code....
    def something to remember...+1

+1 what Ink said, all this time the controller has been center front underneath the hoses, relocated to the port side and tucked it out of the way like Ink did and last trip out turned off and started maybe 15-20 times no drama

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    i've had a few 1300s come into the shop this year also for the engine temp sensor plugs getting all nasty/wet/corroded...

the first one we chased around for weeks. ski ran fine, rode it all day, came back, hoses it down and ski wont start... it was brought in for service and it started right up, wats the problem?.... hm, ok take it back if problem pesists bring it back in... same thing, next ride, hoses it down, doesn't start, so we were onto somehting and went thru every connection and that's what we found...

after that one 2 more came in for the same issue and we went right for that plug with success

.... the only other fluke problem we had was an 07 1300 that wouldn't start... pulled the plugs out and oil was shooting out of the cylinders hiting the ceiling of the shop that is 20 foot tall.... apparently the oil pump malfunctioned and drained the entire oil tank into the crankcase and wouldn't let it start bc the plugs were so wet with oil... that was a weird one... was not easy getting all that oil out of the motor and getting it to start and stay running... and to freaken stop smoking!! haha

+1
    Theres a spray called Pro Gold... Its made primarily for high end audio terminals. Its sold at guitar center or I can ship it if anyone needs it. Its extremely corrosion resistant.. I havent had an electrical problem since. This sh*t is amazing... I now use it on everything instead of grease. Its alot cleaner than grease and im convinced it works better....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	p13824.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	16.8 KB 
ID:	105120  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information