Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

RXT X bent valve

Hey all, Bought a new RXTX a few weeks ago and before she even ticked over the 4 hour mark she's bent a valve. BRP tried to blame the run i process but from what i understand that's immposible. I varied the revs like your supposed to and have never gone WOT, i've given it quick bursts of speed but i was under the immpression that's good for it. At the end of the day they are fixing it under warranty which i spose means they are accepting they are at fault but i can't believe this has happened. The whole reason i boiught new was to avoid this sort of drama! I'm no mechanic but i thought the run in process was purely to bed the piston rings and polish the bores? so surley nothing i have done could of caused this? Has anyone experienced this before and more importantly can someone please tell me exactly how you bend a valve?

Nothin' better than Doo'in it! BigDaddyRXP's Avatar
    +1
    That sucks However you don't need to tell them how you rode it... the MPEM stores all that information for the dealer to review

glad it worked out in the end!

Yeah i know, they came back and told me it hit 7500 6% of it's life so far. The thing is, the dealer told me take it easy for the first 2 hrs and then start to open it up a little so i can't see how i've caused this. Even if i had riden it flat out straight from the box surely it shouldn't of bent a valve though or am i wrong? Just out of interest, what are the maximum revs of these machines?

True statement about the MPEM. It will show the dealer everything you did while riding it. If your dealer didn't show you a chart showing percent of WOT, 1/2 or what ever for the 4 hours you ran it, he is just B/Sing you. You would be suprised at the info they can pull out from the MPEM. Also great info if you ever want to buy a used ski. If you didn't go WOT the first time you hit the water, I'd find it hard to believe you caused it. It's a good engine & bending a valve that quick without abuse is a fluke.

Nothin' better than Doo'in it! BigDaddyRXP's Avatar
    +1
    My guess is something from the factory was defective, and it showed itself very quickly! As far as max RPM's... many people are running in the mid to high 8k, but only with aftermarket ECU's & other valve train mods. Factory you should be around 8k.

Not sure what the rev limiter is set to, but I know it's over 8150 on the RXT. I don't see how 7500 would bend a valve. I know breaking these in is hard to do, but get that first 10 hrs in, service it, and hold on for the ride of your life. 15 mins later you are ready for the mods to start. Welcome to Green Hulk.

Cheers mate, can't wait... just have to get it back, it's been two weeks so far.

+1
    My RXT-X was broken in with very short full throttle runs mixed in with alot of varied throttle cruising. But every hour of the 10 hour breakin I would go wide open for a short burst to check max rpm. It increased it's max rpm a little bit every hour. I don't think I abused it. In fact I think I did a good breakin on it. I now runs over 70 with a half tank of gas @8120-8140 rpms. Not your fault mate. It was a factory defect.

+1
    I say defective part and glad it showed its face early and not later.

My ecu starts to pull back when i hit 8,160 - 8,180 rpm. If I am under proped and at max at 3/4 throtle the ski will hit 8,160 - 8,180 rpm and then back off to 8,100 rpm.

Seadoo states max power at 8,000 rpm. I like my ski at 8,060 to 8,080 rpm and AFR is still just fine.
    I see more boost if dialed in at 8,080 compared to 8,000 rpm.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information