Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

185 ecu vs 215 ecu vs riva ecu

whats the differences is it timing ,rev limit,--------. would i beneifit by going from my 185 to a 215?

Read this post up in the 4-Tec Performance board. I think it will answer all of your questions:

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=61053

...Ron

bump

uh 90 pages to find the answer? still didnt find the difference. or benefits of each over one another.

Just trying to show you a link that will explain how changing an ECU affects other things. For instance, just changing an ECU to raise the rev limiter won't do anything because you haven't done anthing to the motor to increase power. So, you either need to do some mods to the engine or decrease the pitch on the prop to get more rpms. Then, some year ECUs are compatible and some aren't. Some skis have a knock sensor resistor built in to the wiring harness; some don't. If you read the post, most dealers Jeremy called gave him a hard time about just reprogramming the ECU. There's lots of pertinent information in that thread that you need to be aware of before you change ECUs... Ron

ok

i guess what im asking is if you had a stock 185 and put the sc from the 215 and flywheel gears and put the intake with intercooler on it would the 185 ecu produce the 215 hp like the 215 ecu or is it different?

You would also need to pull the engine and put in forged pistons. Most people are scrapping the OEM intercooler and going with an external intercooler... Ron

Dont forget injector size , camshaft/ springs,Impellor, Drive shaft size, Pump including nozzle size , ECT. ECT ECT . Just go by an RXP/RXT.. 30 HP wont make much difference with a 185 pump/nozzle/VTS less boat..IMHO its not worth the trouble

Quote Originally Posted by pjsc823 View Post
    whats the differences is it timing ,rev limit,--------. would i beneifit by going from my 185 to a 215?
    Sorry the benifit of the wrong ECU Nothing good if it runs at all

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by PEST! View Post
    Dont forget injector size , camshaft/ springs,Impellor, Drive shaft size, Pump including nozzle size , ECT. ECT ECT . Just go by an RXP/RXT.. 30 HP wont make much difference with a 185 pump/nozzle/VTS less boat..IMHO its not worth the trouble
    same injectors (different fuel pressure regulator tho)
    same cam
    same springs
    same nozzles

to the original poster...
    u can get away with not changing your pistons on such a mild setup

yes u can simply slap a 215 ECU into your 185 hp machine... BUT you will need to have the cooperation of a dealer tho to get things activated, programmed.. and then you will need to play around with props getting the right prop to put your WOT rpms in the right spot, and then u will need to be prepared for troubleshooting any error codes or incompatible wiring issues.

all in all... i'm all for modding stuff... but the trouble ur gonna go thru and the actual gains you are going to see may not make it worth it... perhaps if ur getting bored it would be more economical to sell your ski and buy a used RXT

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Shibby1485 View Post
    same injectors (different fuel pressure regulator tho)
    same cam
    same springs
    same nozzles

to the original poster...
    u can get away with not changing your pistons on such a mild setup

yes u can simply slap a 215 ECU into your 185 hp machine... BUT you will need to have the cooperation of a dealer tho to get things activated, programmed.. and then you will need to play around with props getting the right prop to put your WOT rpms in the right spot, and then u will need to be prepared for troubleshooting any error codes or incompatible wiring issues.

all in all... i'm all for modding stuff... but the trouble ur gonna go thru and the actual gains you are going to see may not make it worth it... perhaps if ur getting bored it would be more economical to sell your ski and buy a used RXT
    +1 with Shibby's comments. Look in the 4-tec performance section for JPEConsult's 185 Build. You can follow the success of my build of the 185 platform. I must agree that it is cheaper to sell the 185 and buy a used 215, however, I am kinda attached to my ski (related to a death in the family) so I don't want to rid of it.

In my thread, you will see all the mods I had to do before really seeing the benefits of the 8100 ECU/58 fpr upgrade. Then I swapped the driveshaft, wear ring and impeller. Yes, it did take some cooperation of a dealer to hook up BUDS to activate the ECU. After all that, you still are restricted to the limits of the forged pistons and flywheel.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information