Thread: OOOil 10w-40

OOOil 10w-40

My question of the day for all is OIL. I have a 07 RXT. Am I required by law to buy XP-S 4 Stroke 10w-40 oil at $8.99 a qt. or can I use oil from auto parts store. Can I use Synthetic oil?
    Oil Filter OEM or K&N are these the only ones out there? Do you have to change the O-ring everytime you do an oil change
    I have been told that you can only suck out 3 qts max oil, on an oil change? How much does the engine hold?

oil

use the xps 4, stock oil filter, no to the o-ring question, yes to the 3 quart question. after you suck the 3 quarts out plug in your key, hold it at wot, wide open throttle and start it. "dont worry it wont start it will just turn over" the helps to get a little bit more oil out the engine. cheers

+1
    Rick,First off let me say welcome to Greenhulk!!!
    Now to your questions:

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    My question of the day for all is OIL. I have a 07 RXT. Am I required by law to buy XP-S 4 Stroke 10w-40 oil at $8.99 a qt.

No,but if your running the OEM clutch washers then YES...

or can I use oil from auto parts store.

Yes

Can I use Synthetic oil?

If its JASO rated and Only if you have metal clutches,Which if you dont you should concider getting them changed out ASAP..Especially seeing you have an 07..

Oil Filter OEM or K&N are these the only ones out there?

Yes as of right now they are the only 2 out there.The OEM one works just fine..

Do you have to change the O-ring everytime you do an oil change

No,just inspect it to make sure its not pinched,cut or smashed..

I have been told that you can only suck out 3 qts max oil, on an oil change? How much does the engine hold?

You can only suck out what is in there..If theres 4 quarts in there then you can only suck out 4 quarts,If theres 3 quarts then you can only suck out 3 quaurts.Once you get all the oil out then proceed to add 3 quarts and check accordingly..I found in my 2 skis that 3.25 quarts is the ticket...BUT every ski will very...

+1
    By law you can run any oil that meets the specs. If Sea-Doo tells you that you have to run their oil or your warranty is void they have to give you the oil free of charge.

Here is information regarding the law.

Warranties and the Magnuson-Moss Act
    You have a customer who is interested in AMSOIL motor oil, but he's concerned that using a synthetic oil or extending his oil drain interval will void his warranty.
    Your customer has no need for concern. Congress in 1975 enacted the federal Magnuson-Moss Act to regulate written consumer product warranties. An examination of the law reveals warranties remain intact when AMSOIL Synthetic Lubricants are used.
    The law was meant to give consumers detailed information about warranty coverage before they buy.
    Congress charged the Federal Trade Commission with creation of the specifics of the law.
    The FTC set down three rules under the Act: the Disclosure Rule, the Pre-Sale Availability Rule and the Dispute Resolution Rule.
    Those rules require warrantors to title their written warranty as either full or limited, provide a single, clear and easy-to-read document that spells out certain information about coverage and ensure that warranties are available where the products are sold so that consumers can read them before buying.
    In passing the Act, Congress meant to give consumers access to warranty information, let consumers comparison shop for warranties, encourage warranty competition and promote timely and complete performance of warranty obligations.
    While the Magnuson-Moss Act does not require manufacturers to provide a written warranty, it provides specific rules when one is provided. Among those provisions, FTC regulations state: (c) No warrantor of a consumer product may condition his written or implied warranty of such product on the consumers using, in connection with such product, any article or service (other than article or service provided without charge under the terms of the warranty) which is identified by brand, trade, or corporate name; except that the prohibition of this subsection may be waived by the Commission if (1) the warrantor satisfies the Commission that the warranted product will function properly only if the article or service so identified is used in connection with the warranted product, and (2) the Commission finds that such a waiver is in the public interest. (15 U.S.C.2302(C))
    That means your warranty stands when you use AMSOIL Synthetic Lubricants.
    Vehicle manufacturers recommend lubricants according to their viscosity grade and service classification. Any oil, whether its conventional petroleum motor oil or synthetic, meeting the correct viscosity grade, 5W-30 for example, and the current API and ILSAC North American service classifications may be used without affecting warranty coverage. AMSOIL motor oils are recommended for use in applications requiring these specifications.
    Furthermore, the practice of extending oil drain intervals does not void warranties. Original equipment manufacturers pay or deny warranty claims based on the findings of failure analysis. To affect the vehicle warranty, the lubricant must be directly responsible for the failure. If the oil didn't cause the problem the warranty cannot be voided, regardless of brand or length of time in use.
    Synthetic motor oil was introduced to the automotive public in 1972 by AMSOIL, INC., with the world's first API rated synthetic motor oil specially formulated for long service and superior performance and protection to that of conventional oils.
    Nearly 30 years ago, AMSOIL synthetics represented a vision of the future and technology ahead of their time. Since then, every major engine oil manufacturer has introduced synthetic oils of their own. To be sure, many original equipment manufacturers would like you to believe you can only use their products. However, it s a violation of the consumer protections set forth in the Magnuson-Moss Act, unless they re willing to provide you those products free of charge.
    AMSOIL offers a warranty that covers the cost of repair or replacement of a proven mechanically sound engine damaged as a result of using AMSOIL synthetic motor oil. However, it has never happened. Thirty years of experience proves AMSOIL can be installed in any vehicle with complete confidence.
    AMSOIL further backs its products with action when a Dealer or customer reports being told their warranty is voided if they use synthetics.
    If you have heard from any member of a business that the use of AMSOIL Motor Oil or the practice of extending drain intervals will void warranties, send AMSOIL all the details including the name of the business, business owner or manager and the individual making the claims, in a signed and dated letter. Send the letter to the Technical Services Department at corporate headquarters and an AMSOIL representative will send them a letter explaining the facts.
    Access to the complete Magnuson-Moss Act is available on the Internet by key words Magnuson-Moss Act or Federal Trade Commission.
    Attached Files Attached Files

im going through this hassle with my dealer right now, I have an 05 RXP that he was putting synthetic oil in ever since the 10hour break in oil change. Ive had to replace 3 superchagers so far on that machine.After buying my new RXP-X yesterday, the new dealer says thats wrong..and old dealer should have never used the synthetic oil,even with the changes that SeaDoo made to the supercharger since 05. Any suggestions?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by capecodder View Post
    im going through this hassle with my dealer right now, I have an 05 RXP that he was putting synthetic oil in ever since the 10hour break in oil change. Ive had to replace 3 superchagers so far on that machine.After buying my new RXP-X yesterday, the new dealer says thats wrong..and old dealer should have never used the synthetic oil,even with the changes that SeaDoo made to the supercharger since 05. Any suggestions?
    Correct you can not use the SeaDoo synthetic oil in that ski since you will have issues with the supercharger. There are other synthetic oils that you can use though. One of them being the AMSOIL 10w-40 Marine oil or the 10w-40 AMSOIL Motorcycle Oil. There are no issues with these oils. Hope this helps.

+1
    Changing the oil is one of the easiest process to perform on the skis. Let the members on this forum be your "dealer" and "service techincian". If you have a question, ask it. You will get more information here than out of your dealer/tech. Plus, you learn the ins/outs of your ski.

Brows the how-to's. --jeremy

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jpeconsult View Post
    Changing the oil is one of the easiest process to perform on the skis. Let the members on this forum be your "dealer" and "service techincian". If you have a question, ask it. You will get more information here than out of your dealer/tech. Plus, you learn the ins/outs of your ski.

Brows the how-to's. --jeremy

Could not have said it better.

Checkout this bulletin from 2004. It is pretty specific which oil goes into which engine. You might want to show it to him and then call BRP... Ron
    Attached Files Attached Files

I have just recently discovered a new to me oil
    that is JASO certified and readily avail. if you don't
    want to use Seadoo oem.
    Valvoline vv740. It is 10w40 , jaso (for wet clutches) and
    is in stock at my local Autozone (don't really like them though).
    and is only $4.00 per quart.
    It is not synthetic so make sure to change your oil and
    filter often.. more than the book says no matter what oil you use!

Thread Information