Jared of Oklahoma

what do you guys think of the Virage???

I found a 2001 Virage today that has a pristine hull but bad motor. The motor is tore down and everything looks good but the crank is a gonner. I think I can get this ski for around $400. It is completely bone stock but is very clean. It seems to me like it might be a good project three seater. Are there any negatives to this ski?? Im thinking about possibly selling my SLT750 next summer to pay myself back for what I probably will put into this ski if I buy it.

Does anyone have a good 1200 motor for sale or a good 1200 crank????

Jared

+1
    Run do not walk. It that were close to me it would be in my yard.

Jared of Oklahoma

running as we speak

Quote Originally Posted by 800AMSOIL4U View Post
    Run do not walk. It that were close to me it would be in my yard.
    that's kinda what I thought, but since Im not familiar with the Virage I wanted to see what everone thought. Its just sitting waiting on me..

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by jarcynvicnchris93 View Post
    I found a 2001 Virage today that has a pristine hull but bad motor. ...

Does anyone have a good 1200 motor for sale or a good 1200 crank????
    Is this a Virage TX (1200), Virage TXi (fuel injected 1200), a plain two cylinder Virage (800), or a Virage i (fuel injected 800)?

I have two Virage TXi (fuel injected 1200). The hull has a nice ride on reasonable water, and the 1200 is fairly fast. Fuel consumption is not bad considering the power.

The Virage with the two cylinder engine is very good on fuel, and not a whole lot slower in top speed.

Jared of Oklahoma

thanks for the details

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Is this a Virage TX (1200), Virage TXi (fuel injected 1200), a plain two cylinder Virage (800), or a Virage i (fuel injected 800)?

I have two Virage TXi (fuel injected 1200). The hull has a nice ride on reasonable water, and the 1200 is fairly fast. Fuel consumption is not bad considering the power.

The Virage with the two cylinder engine is very good on fuel, and not a whole lot slower in top speed.

that is some very good info to have-thanks

this one is a TXi with the 1200 motor- which Im sure be very expensive on parts, but probably worth it. Probably way faster than my SLT750 or 780..

Jared

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    that is some very good info to have-thanks

this one is a TXi with the 1200 motor- which I'm sure be very expensive on parts, but probably worth it...
    60+mph on smooth water, stock.

With a TXi, make sure the Ficht computer and injectors were 100% good before the engine was taken apart. Ficht computers are expensive to replace, and repairs are typically a few hundred dollars.

The injectors are fairly reliable, as long as they have not been damaged during the engine work or while sitting around.

You cannot really test the EMM or injectors without the engine running, so you need to know whether the original problem was a mechanical engine failure (low compression, piston, rod or crank failure), or symptoms of a fuel injection problem.

On a Ficht engine, if compression is good, almost every other problem is something related to the injection system.

If the flywheel is off, inspect it carefully to verify all the magnets are still present, and in the correct locations. Also check the stator visually and with a low-range ohm-meter to confirm the five coils are all OK.

If the injectors have been removed from the head, make sure they are marked for which cylinder they came from. They must be re-installed on the exact same cylinder they came from (MAG, CEN, PTO).

Since the engine (I presume) is out of the hull, you might want to pull the electric fuel pump out of the tank, and reinforce the pressure regulator retainer inside the pump top. I posted a thread covering how to do the repair. If the regulator falls off inside the tank (and they are prone to doing so), you will have almost no fuel pressure, and the engine won't run properly.

Assume the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) is (or will become) bad, and plan to buy a new one. Use the new TPS, and put the old one away as a spare.

+1
    If you dont buy it , let me know, im looking for a virage hull, for my project. I dont mind driving to Oklahoma.

Jared of Oklahoma

driving to Oklahoma

Quote Originally Posted by rlharrison60 View Post
    If you dont buy it , let me know, im looking for a virage hull, for my project. I dont mind driving to Oklahoma.
    I would be glad to let you know. As much as I want this ski I may not buy it because I already have three project skis in work as it is...in addition to all the honey do projects my wife has lined up for me... hahahaha

hey are there any good places to ride down where you live?? is it still fairly warm?? or has it got cold like it is here in Oklahoma 42 degrees today..

Jared

+1
    I would be glad to let you know. As much as I want this ski I may not buy it because I already have three project skis in work as it is...in addition to all the honey do projects my wife has lined up for me... hahahaha

hey are there any good places to ride down where you live?? is it still fairly warm?? or has it got cold like it is here in Oklahoma 42 degrees today..

Jared
    Cold here too, Front moved in, just right for deer hunting. But it will warm back up before soon. Winters are not bad here. We have some great places to ride. So, Am I going to be coming to
    Oklahoma?

Jared of Oklahoma
    the guy has not called me back yet. it is at a buddy of mines shop in Norman Oklahoma, (Craig of Performance- he competed on a yellow 800 Seadoo-I think he got 2nd overall in something) at Havasu this year. I will talk to him Monday morning and let you know.

Jared

Thread Information