Gun owners in VA, NC, SC, and GA

My sister is going up to visit my mom for turkey day, and I want her to bring back my shotguns/rifles with her to her house, so I can go up and get them from her up in northern florida.

However, I want to be certain she's allowed to transport them on her ride. No ammo on board, just the guns.

If anyone knows how/what i need to do to please reply here or PM me.

Thanks!

+1
    You might want to post more details,
    you say, "on board," are we talking plane or vehicle...
    call your local gun shop they can help advise.

Sorry, in her car. driving to and from DE from the space coast here in FL. Ill talk to my local guy and see what he knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Pettee View Post
    Sorry, in her car. driving to and from DE from the space coast here in FL. Ill talk to my local guy and see what he knows.
    I would think she's ok if they're not loaded and in the trunk?

Here is a good link:

http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws/

You can select a state and check out their laws.

In most states, it is legal to carry a fire arm if, the fire arm and ammunition are in different compartments of the vehicial that would require you to exit the vehical to get one. For example, you could carry the gun in the car and the ammo in the trunk and be legal in most states.

Since she wont be carrying any ammo, I doubt she would have any trouble. Of course you will want to double check by checking out the laws for each state.

Prohibido usuario
    +1
    Something I know a little about. If they will be locked in a car trunk you are good in all those states. If I remember correctly you can ride around in Va and Ga with them laying on the seat if you want. I know you can in NC. They have to be locked up or in plain view in NC, can't be concealed or hidden. In SC they can't be in plain site. If you were to put trigger locks on all of them and place them in a cardboard (or similar) box I'm sure you would be ok to travel in all those states without them locked in a trunk. Trunk is still your safest bet if traveling by car.

If she has a concealed weapons permit from Florida she can pretty mucn transport them however she wants. I have a CWP so I don't worry about the open carry laws much unless I am in that State. Whatever she does, if she gets stopped tell her she needs to inform the officer of the weapons presence first thing and tell him they are unloaded and secured. I would have her put trigger locks on all of them. This way even if she is transporting them incorrectly they will most likely instruct her of the correct procedure in that state and let her continue traveling.

axgrider73's site is ok, but when I looked at Virginia it only talked about concealed carry. No where did I see anything about open carry or traveling with firearms. Try http://opencarry.org and click on the maps section. I was correct, South Carolina is the only state that you asked about where you can't open carry in a vehicle. That is for a loaded gun though so secured unloaded weapons should be fine as long as they are out of sight.

Thread Information