Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2 trailer questions

#1 When salt water begins to develop surface rust on a galvanized trailer, how do you touch it up? Sand and spraypaint silver? or can it be re-galvanized?

lmk your thoughts.

#2 I have seen people use racks to carry gas tanks attached to their trailer. are they bought or built? does anyone have plans/ideas/links to where they can be bought? Id prefer to build. LMK.

Jared of Oklahoma

Fuel can mounts on your trailer

Quote Originally Posted by twelvesorbetter View Post
    #1 When salt water begins to develop surface rust on a galvanized trailer, how do you touch it up? Sand and spraypaint silver? or can it be re-galvanized?

lmk your thoughts.

#2 I have seen people use racks to carry gas tanks attached to their trailer. are they bought or built? does anyone have plans/ideas/links to where they can be bought? Id prefer to build. LMK.
    here are a couple of pics of gas can racks/or mounts I made on a double trailer I rebuilt last year. Pretty easy, decide what jug or can you want to use and the use measurements to design your mount, check to make sure can or jugs will not hit one of your skis, then just use 2 to 2 1/2 inch angle iron, miter your corners, tack it up, check to make sure it is straight on the trailer and then weld it on the bench, once your welds are bullet proof tack it to the trailer, check for level and then finish welding. Next cut some expanded metal to fit under the frame you just built and weld it in place. One tip is to use chain links welded on your rack in strategic points to use as bungee cord points or strap points to secure your fuel jug or can. Check out my two pics to get a better understanding of the mounts I made. You will have to excuse the look of the trailer. These pics were before I sandblasted and painted the trailer. I built one on each side of the trailer. Let me kow if this info was helpful. At least maybe it can give you some ideas to design something custom for your trailer.

Jared
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Jared of Oklahoma
    if you look closely at the second pic you can see the welded on chain link for a tie down point...

BORN TO FISH NOT CATCH
    do not sand blast the galvanized, you remove it which is bad
    lightly sand and re galvanize

I dont weld.. Id like to make a rack for the front.. does anyone know of anything that works?

boaters world sell that galvanizing?

so you want to make a gas can holder without welding it on/together?
    well...i guess you could use a plastic container (this may look kind of crappy, but will get the job done) like a rubbermaid container or something along this line.
    then you could just bolt it on. But i would very much like to stress the fact that it WILL with no doubt about it look like crap. but like i said it will get the job done.
    if you can try and find someone who can weld.
    I would gladly help you with this..i live in canada but for 15 bucks or so plus shipping i can make it for you... all i need are the measurements for the gas can.
    hope i can help.

im talking more along the lines of buying something or using some type of crate. I will condiser your offer.

well you could just use a couple of bungee cords to strap the jerry can on the trailer, or even use a ratchet strap if you want to make sure you dont loose it. or you can buy a trailer box or something along those lines.

custom make one with wood..that what we did..fits 2 gas tanks and a cooler in front of both skis on a double trailer

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    go to any jeep off road website and look at the gas can bracket mounts Im sure you could find one there that would work for you.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information