Thread: The gibson

BLACK MAGIC HEADERS hydrojunkie's Avatar
    +1

The gibson

I have been meaning to write this up and i have been so busy with other things. My apologies for the delay.

from what we have been hearing with the cans is that they all have been cracking in the front just at the top of the can below the jpipe.
    Now just to clearify that the crafstmanship is there gibson actualy hangs these cans from the transom on boats. The welds are 100%.

I spoke with the lead fabricator at gibson and he feels that its not vibration,or poor welds, or not strong enough material is whats causing it to crack.

We think it's exhaust preasure causing them to split in the same spot as all of them.

Gibson has been fixing them up and repolishing them as needed so they are standing behin there word as to repair them as needed. Lifetime warranty. Wow thats nice.

Anyway what we are going to do is weld a bung on the top of the can and redirect preasure into the tail pipe . I truly feel that this will eliviate the problem.

I know this is an awesome product, gives you massive acceleration gains like no other and you also gain in rpm about 150 to 200 .

So all in all please don't think that it has not bothered me for those whom it affected, cause it does.

Restassured i will get to the bottom of this and will be redisigning the cans.
    Don't give up hope on an awesome product. Cause i won't. :d

The ski's have taken a "backseat" to the Corvette DarthAWM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hydrojunkie View Post
    I have been meaning to write this up and i have been so busy with other things. My apologies for the delay.

from what we have been hearing with the cans is that they all have been cracking in the front just at the top of the can below the jpipe.
    Now just to clearify that the crafstmanship is there gibson actualy hangs these cans from the transom on boats. The welds are 100%.

I spoke with the lead fabricator at gibson and he feels that its not vibration,or poor welds, or not strong enough material is whats causing it to crack.

We think it's exhaust preasure causing them to split in the same spot as all of them.

Gibson has been fixing them up and repolishing them as needed so they are standing behin there word as to repair them as needed. Lifetime warranty. Wow thats nice.

Anyway what we are going to do is weld a bung on the top of the can and redirect preasure into the tail pipe . I truly feel that this will eliviate the problem.

I know this is an awesome product, gives you massive acceleration gains like no other and you also gain in rpm about 150 to 200 .

So all in all please don't think that it has not bothered me for those whom it affected, cause it does.

Restassured i will get to the bottom of this and will be redisigning the cans.
    Don't give up hope on an awesome product. Cause i won't. :d
    Once it is figured out, Jay, will those of use who have the current Gibson(and love it by the way) be able to get a retrofit?

BLACK MAGIC HEADERS hydrojunkie's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by darthawm View Post
    once it is figured out, jay, will those of use who have the current gibson(and love it by the way=d>) be able to get a retrofit?
    yes it should be a simple fix. I truely belive that those using it on a stock to mild ski wont see prob. Those with heavy mods will do to the fact of more exhaust preasure

+1
    yes it should be a simple fix. I truely belive that those using it on a stock to mild ski wont see prob. Those with heavy mods will do to the fact of more exhaust preasure
    I agree. I did not have any issues with my gibson until I added the big charger. It split the first day out with it! Gibson fixed it and repolished it to better than new.

Banned User
    +1

Its not the pressure, I would suggest its Thermal Shock.

That area is the hottest (the bend) on the entire system, so after a long WOT run its VERY hot from the direct shot of the exhaust gases. Even though it gets mixed with water form the 3-pisser holes, its nto enough to overcome the HOT EGT that are generated...

Then when you come off the throttle the exhaust gas flow is not as forcefull, BUT, the waterflow is still there...Kinda like dumping a fresh hot welded item into a bucket of water, when it gets SHOCKED from the cold water. After a few dozen times, it gets brittle...

just a thought...

+1
    I think some sort of support bracket would really help. If you could fit it where the waterbox use to be and kinda cradle the gibson. That would take a lot of stress of the J bend.

Gotta say that after I installed mine had to do 2 more for other buddies cause the liked it so much. Does sound sick and the gain is so worth it.

+1
    Danny is correct it is caused from heat,mine cracked 3 times in same spot,and after a lot of thought we realised due to the design very little water gets to that area under wot use,so after long runs when water gets to that area it causes the weld to become brittle and crack.I repositioned the water line into the face off the muffler and have not had a problem since.Hope this helps

Thread Information