Thread: cut tabs

cut tabs

Im going to try this on an extra set of tabs, but want to know if anyone has tried it already. We get our plate way up and the ski starts to bounce, so we space the tabs, no secret, philip has pointed this out in his "Super fast riva thread" we are all formular with. i noticed as i add washers the boat stays in the water better, but slows down a hair. i think it's because when we spacer our tabs to get the nose more in the water, they not only go down but also OUT! kind like big brakes in the water. I want the tabs to go down to put the nose in the water more, but not out to create drag, thats why i'm going to try this. I'm going to cut my tabs so that when they are shimmed they go down and not out. I might even be able to get away with not shimming all 4 bolts but maybe just the back two, this is all just a huge idea that i'm going to try, and I have no results. For all i know I might go way slower, but then again, I might not!! here is a pic of what im talking about. with the cut the tabs will be more horizontal, like the botom of the rideplate.
    Attached Images Attached Images

+1
    wouldn't this make it unparallel with the hulls surface at the sides next to the ride plate? (for example- would this make the hull into a wider "V" shape at the back?) I could be wrong, but hey i like this thinking because this is how stuff is found. Looks like the outer edges would come down at an akward angle. See where i am talking about?

I think its worth a try though.

john, the outer edge will stay the same, but the inner edge will come up making it flatter in the back. how much? i don't know. will it work? i don't know. will i try it? you bet.

+1
    sounds like a trick way to go,less drag but still mantain area (something like a cat.) might steer strange?

as soon as feel better will be over to T bone mike/just kidding

later cd

+1
    I'll bite on this one since we are just talking.

If you were to run an angle locater across that stock trim tab while it is mounted, you will find that the tabs have that funky shape to maintain a 2 degree angle across the whole of the trim tab. That 2 degree angle, I think contributes to a little lift but to a lot of stability.
    If you remove the trim tabs, the boat has lift (to the tune of about 5 degrees), but you are reducing stability. How many guys have reported increased speed when they removed the tabs all together, but almost in the same sentence say that their boat is squirrelly.

Who knows, maybe you are on to something. I would think though that rather trying to increase lift at the risk of sacrificing stability, that you would try to eleminate those things that just create drag.

For sure that part of the tab that sticks"out" is sho 'nuf drag, but also look at how you change the angle of the back of the boat and how it would change the way the boat interacts with the water.

JMO

+1
    hell since we're talking about it.........as good as jims plates have been handling, you might be able to get away with no tabs (just for the radar) and still be a bit in control of the ski.

+1
    I believe the boat will not be stable.Kinda like riding with them off.Be careful when you start cutting and grinding back there,especialy when your hitting in the mid 70's.BE CAREFUL!

i'll try to post results early next week

if you cut the tabs you will get more lift
    i have been thinking about this for some time now and will try it myself becuse thats one of the problems my ski has NO LIFT!

let us know

Thread Information