EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1

Adjusting Steering before my Trip this weekend! quick help

I'm leaving saturday morning for a 2 day trip with a bunch of people from SDN, pwctoday, and other places as well.... hopefully will be a good turn out.... will take lots of pics and post them for you guys. we're going up and down the hudson river, all around Manhattan NYC, around statue of liberty, up to albany and such.

anyways i'm gtting my ski ready for the trip.... trailer all good to go and greased up, new wear ring installed, new spark plugs installed... BUT i want to install my pump wedge before i go i think. whenn you install the pump wedge is knock the alignment out a little bit on the RXT/GTX...

how should i align the steering to be straight? under handlebars or at back of ski? is one better than the other and why?

if at the back, i can figure that out. if under the handlebars, i THINK i found the black plastic nuts that needs to be turned.... it's tough to turn and snug... requires a wrench? ... which way do i turn it? does turning it adjsut it? or do need to loosen it all the way the adjsut something? how does it work?

thanks

Its easy to adjustÖ.

I adjusted mine from the rear (at the nozzle).

On the steering cable, loosen the jam nut thatís against the linkage, and unscrew the linkage till itís the steering is straight. Some people said that this isnít a good idea, because it doesnít leave much thread left in the linkage. Iíve been running it like this for a while now and I know others that have done it the same way (including Jerry - I think). I havenít had any problems, so Iím not too worried. The wedge should have came with a small threaded extension peice for the linkage, but I found that it was a little too long, so I chose not to use it.

Also, you need to adjust the reverse cable, if not it will the handle will not lay flat. Same procedure as the steering cable.

This is very easyÖ If you can change spark plugs and a wear ring this will be a cinch.

I found the extension too long too.

I got my straight then when I tested it to be straight I unscrewed and counted the turns then put red loc tite and screwed it back on the same number.

Just have to pull out the blow torch to readjust.....

+1
    the Riva wedge comes with a extension...

the R&D wedge for the RXT/GTX does not come with a extension for the steering.... i will play around with it in a little while and see if i can figure out under the handlebars... otherwise i'll go for the rear adjsutment.... i've isntalled them before and adjusted the reverse cable no problem... then ride and like ah crap steering is out of whack and never straightened it

Gotta love this sport! 05Limited's Avatar
    +1
    Shibby,

After several installs, I have found that if you turn the steering and reverse gate cable adjustments "five turns counter-clockwise" (looking at the back of the ski) they will be almost dead on. This is with a 2.5 degree wedge (4 turns for a 2 degree).

Some folks say this may leave you with to few threads holding the steering cable, but I have not found that to be the case... no problems so far.

Then again, I'm not sure I'd want to be on one that had a problem

You be the judge, but it's worked OK for me in over a dozen installs now.

Jeff

It is best to adjust at the front of the steering cable, not at the pump. IMO it's not safe to do it at the rear. This is because the adjustment requires that you unscrew the coupler on the cable quite a ways leaving very few threads holding everything together. Best to do it at the front, it's not that hard.

+1
    thomas, anyone... how do i adjsut at the front!? jsut i'm half screaming... haha... i'm leaving my house tomorrow to drive like 200 miles at 6:30am for the hudson ride... everything is ready to go by steering is outta whack bc i just installed the wedge...

i adsuted at the rear initially... BUT NO NO... it's hanging on by ONE thread... not safe at all.... i threaded it back on a ways and i'm trying to figure out how to do it in the front...

any assistance?? pleaseeeee?

Shibby,

Did it come with an extension nut ? if not , your going to need it. If you dont have it , call Riva on this and just remove the wedge for the weekend. I dont know of any way to adjust from the front.

Please dont ride with that steering link at 1 thread, one hard turn and it may sheer off...then ya cant ride this weekend. Wish I could give you the one mine came with. As others have stated..the Extension for the RXP appears too long.

ooops...sorry...I misread and thought you got it from Riva, my bad.

+1
    i got it guys.... PIECE OF CAKE..

i took many pictures, will highlight items and how you how. took SECONDS. i will never again adjsut frmo the rear bc this way is believe it or not jsut as easy.

give me a litle while.

GREEN HULK... or MIKETRIN.... make it a "HOW TO" thread if you like....

Thread Information