Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

Could it get any worse? With video links now.

First off my name is Mike and I'm in the USAF currently stationed in Okinawa Japan. I just recently served a tour in Korea and saved up the whole time I was there to buy a 2008 Yamaha SHO from a local dealer in Stuart Florida where I'm from. I paid 11K out the door, and I really believed it was a "fair" deal seeing how the 2009's were already showing up.

Well the ski arrived here on Monday, and was not what I had expected. I filed a claim for the bent handle bars and two scratches it recieved. After popping the seat it appeared the ski was at least five years old with evident signs of galvanic corrosion through out. I was in utter disbelief and had not felt that bad since someone passed away. I actually felt the pain in my chest. I took the battered ski to an "authorized Yamaha" dealer here on island and they told me they will do the estimate and the military has agreed to foot the bill because it was their mistake for improperly handling the ski.

Here's where things get really bad and down hill as if things werent just hard enough to digest. I'm at home trying to tackle all the areas that suffered corrosion in the engine compartment when I notice water in the hull. Lucky for me I had a water extracter and removed all the water while it was tipped back resting on the ride plate. Well after I go to lower the ski unto the trailer tongue I hear all this water racing to the middle of the ski. I'm like WTF! So I call the dealer and they pick up the ski for further inspection aside from everything they have already found. This is where my heart starts to bleed. The dealer here says that they do not believe this is from the shipping company, and that the water is trapped under the engine compartment area and the bottom of the hull where water is never supposed to enter. They made some phone calls and the messege was relayed to me that I have to take it up with the dealer where the ski was originaly purchased. The hull was externally checked and appears to be in scratch free condition. Friday I will be calling Stuart to here what they have to say but it's looking like I have an 11K paperweight right now, and I just feel like throwing up!

If anyone has ever heard of such a thing please reply because I can hardly sleep wondering what the out come of all this will actually be. Very sad. By the way my wifes 2004 Yamaha GP800R made it here in the same shipment and looks amazing. Hard to believe a 2004 can look better than an 08 SHO and be bone dry!

Crushed but had to post something just for inputs.

It's almost like a plug or something was left out somewhere down below and water entered where it never should have. Unbelievable. Welcome to the world of fun filled jetsking for this guy!

Mike Ward

Video 1 -
    Video 2 -

Make sure your speakers are up! The second video shows a little water back there, but it's nothing like what you hear in the video. I took the second one so you can hear the amount running back and forth.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CIMG1064.JPG 
Views:	89 
Size:	1.93 MB 
ID:	105966   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CIMG1068.JPG 
Views:	67 
Size:	1.81 MB 
ID:	105967   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CIMG1075.JPG 
Views:	52 
Size:	1.65 MB 
ID:	105968   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CIMG1078.JPG 
Views:	87 
Size:	1.85 MB 
ID:	105969  
    Last edited by Awamori; 11-28-2008 at 08:50 PM.

Sorry to hear about your problems with your ski. The bent handlebars and mirror aren't supposed to be there installed during shipping. Both parts should have been stored in a separate box and attached inside the crate fully protected. Check out attached photo..

Can you post photos of the engine compartment? It should've been bone dry. Open fuel tank and see if you detect any faint gasoline odor. The odor should be plastic without any hint of gas.

Mitch

Hey Mike sorry to hear about your ski bud. It sucks when s**t like this happens but try not to let it get you down cause one's its all fixed you'll be lovin it. I think there was another member that had a similar thing happen in Europe could have been an SHO or maybe an Ultra
    Last edited by 08GPR; 11-27-2008 at 03:48 AM. Reason: .

+1
    I appreciate the comments guys. I popped the gas tank lid and it was bone dry and smelled like plastic. One thing I did notice was that the cage it was in during hipping suffered a huge strike. My own opinions are that it may have cracked an engine mount or something. I just got back from the dealer here on island, and they are telling me that I need to find out whats best from my dealer where I purchased the ski in the states. Because the only thing to do now is remove all the internals and hopefully find out where the leak is. If it's Yamaha leaving something out vs a shipping problem it changes the liability. Yamaha here is different than Yamaha in the states according to the guys here Looks like I'm S.O.L. until I talk to the guys I bought the ski from in Florida. I'm 100% they are gonna say it was prestine when it left them and there was no chance of water in the hull. We all told them to watch the hadlebars to the shipping company as this was a floor model and they said it was a pain in the ass to dis-assemble. Either way those are small problems compared to water in the hull beneath where it's supposed to be. My blood pressure has got to be off the charts and I'm just going to have some drinks and try to enjoy the rest of my Thanksgiving for now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CIMG1060.JPG 
Views:	93 
Size:	1.91 MB 
ID:	105978   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CIMG1062.JPG 
Views:	54 
Size:	1.96 MB 
ID:	105979  

im sure the ski did leave in pristine condition DID U TAKE OUT INSURANCE BUD???

+1
    I dont have insurance on the ski yet, and it was in route to Japan before I was from Korea. Also, the shipping company replaces things to 100% if it's their fault, but as of right now, no one really knows how the water got there in the first place. Far as the dealer is concerned here it's not possible. Thats why we're all scratching our heads as to how it even got there in the first place. There is a fine line and to be honest I hope it's the shipping companies fault, and not Yamaha just leaving something loose or missing from the air tight, no mans land, in the hull. Keep in mind this ski wasnt even registered yet. Thats why all the grief about the situation. Far as I see it, now it's the shipping companies problem, however if there's a bolt missing or something where it shouldnt be the authorized dealer here isnt going to lie about it to put blame on the shippers. And since they are a different Yamaha they arent paying either way. Thats why I have to reach back to where I purchased the ski. Hope this makes sense to someone cause it makes my head hurt!

i agree with you, goodluck

Mike prob stupid question but where is the rear seat section? In the photo it is missing. Maybe if it was shipped like that? BTW buddy I found that old thread, what'dya know it was an SHO as well!!! Sounds a bit like your story as well.........

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...hipping+damage
    Last edited by 08GPR; 11-27-2008 at 08:08 AM. Reason: .

+1
    Easy to fill with water. The crates are only covered with a light plastic sheet. The ski would have been left out in the open, probably in the shipping yard and it rained, filling up the footwell and then into the hull via the seat. The plastic sheet acts like a bloody great funnel. The crates are easliy bent by a rough forklift driver. At the end of the day, check that there is no water in the engine oil, get the handlebars and paint fixed, and go have fun. Best ski ever made.
    The joys of importing!!
    Last edited by Gunna; 11-27-2008 at 08:30 AM. Reason: .

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 08GPR View Post
    Mike prob stupid question but where is the rear seat section? In the photo it is missing. Maybe if it was shipped like that? BTW buddy I found that old thread, what'dya know it was an SHO as well!!! Sounds a bit like your story as well.........

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...hipping+damage
    No stupid questions here, and I really appreciate the ideas. It shipped in tact, everthing installed. The only mistakes I made were letting it ship with the handlebars poking out side the cage. Thats why that stuff got trashed. Shippers have already agreed to right that part. It's the water in the hull that I can't get to that has me botherd to no end. The authorized Japanese Yamaha dealer here is saying that the entire motor needs to be removed and I believe him because no matter the angle the waters not making it to the back. Would more than likely have to be turned upside down to get it out and the way they made it sound is that second void should be totally unaccessable. Thats what I really need to know because it sounds like there is still 3 to 5 gallons of water running back and forth when you raise and lower the trailer. It's not right I assure you. Makes me want to poke a hole in the hull to let it drain out but I do know better. The dealer here is saying it will be upwards of 500 bucks just to remove the motor, and if its' a small crack/leak there is no guarantee they will find it. Sheeesh Im getting pissed again just thinking about it. Cant wait to here what the dealer says where I bought it!!!!!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information