Canadians - Question about Researching HIN (Hot or Not)

I'm looking at buying a Seadoo RXP for a really cheap price. Motor is blown (Will start another thread if I purchase it). The owner has no title. I know how to apply for a lost title in Canada for a boat, as I have done this twice before.

Before I jump on this deal, does anyone know how to research a HIN in Canada to see if it is stolen?? I called service Canada, and they claim that their database does not tell them this. I called the RCMP, they have no clue. For a vehicle, it is a no brainer, each province has a list of all the VIN sthat get updated when something is stolen. Boat is Federal, different story.

Anyone know how to make sure a HIN number in Canada is clear and not stolen??? Or when a boat gets stolen in Canada, noone has a record of the HIN?? I'm starting to think this is true, from what I have learned.

Thanks

+1
    If the boat has reg #'s then this should be in the Service Canada data base. If it has #'s with no paperwork I think you can do a bill of sale and letter from a notary stating no title. Also check with BRP to see if they have the HIN flagged as stolen. There are also some independant companies that will do lien searches for a small fee. I bought a used truck from a private seller and I paid around $25.00.

When Border Services did boat registrations they were a lot more knowledgeable about it than the Service Canada offices.

The first Doo I purchased had reg #'s and no paperwork, being naive I applied for new #'s with the correct HIN and a bill of sale with no problems. In B.C. you will get a letter in the mail asking for the P.S.T. on the purchase amount.

Thanks, I am aware how to get a letter from a notary stating no title or lost title. I've done this before.

I am just worried about buying something that might be "hot" and getting screwed when I go to register it or use it. After researching this topic, I am fairly certain that in Canada, there is no database for stolen boats (Very stupid). I found how to check your bicycle's serial number, but no luck with boat HIN.

I will go to my local BRP dealer with the HIN and see if they have it flagged as stolen. (Does BRP even do this in their system?)

+1
    Does it have any reg #s on it now ?

Yes it has the 40D XXXXX numbers on the hull.

+1
    Will Service Canada not do a title search based on the existing reg numbers ? There must be some record of a boat and owner who those numbers were issued to.

Then again this is a government agency you're dealing with

Thread Information