Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Fuel for Kerosene Heater

Guys, I have an older Desa 35-k btu forced-air kerosene heater that I use in my garage. The label on the heater says to use either kerosene or heatiing oil. The Desa site says to use kerosene, diesel/heating oil. Since the only place that I have ever bought kerosene doesn't have any, does anyone see any reason that I cannot use diesel fuel? I understand that kerosene burns cleaner than heating oil and heating oil burns cleaner than diesel fuel. And that gasoline would be a big (bang) mistake. I intend to leave a door partially open as I normally do.

The 5-speed transmission for my Saab is coming tomorrow and I would like to get started putting the car back together. TIA... Ron

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1

if you're working in the space

you'll be pretty unhappy with the stink you'll pick up burning diesel. "#2 heating oil" is exactly the same thing as disel, except for the dye which signifies it's not taxed for use in on road engines (if your truck happens to get to a place where they happen to be inspecting fuel, and your stick comes out red ( home heating) instead of blue( taxed motor fuel), you get a humongous fine. Even a little red dye conaminates the system, so cutting it never works

Heating oil is typically used in a heat exchanger system where you don't have the combustion fumes entering the working area.

go with the kerosene, trust me you'll be much much happier.

better yet a propane space heater better yet if you can't come up with some kersosene. In a pinch they aren't bad, cept of the eadded fuel costs

if you have to use disel, increase ventilation ( alot) and try to have the heater warm up something like a sheet of tin, so you get the benefit of some radiant heating effect.

I'd get the kerosene personally. I tried disel one year and never forgot it.

+1
    Fire that bad boy up outside first and get it nice and hot. If you do not leave a door open the heater will burn off the oxygen and you will die.

Hey Amsoil, that reminds me of the time that I got the heater out of the shed and fired it up in the garage. After about 15 miutes, I smelled something like burning wires. I walked into the garage from the family room to this awfull smell. I figure that a small animal curled up and died in the heater. It took a week or two for the smell to leave the family room.

Guys, thanks for the info... Ron

+1

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by King_Of_Fun View Post
    Hey Amsoil, that reminds me of the time that I got the heater out of the shed and fired it up in the garage. After about 15 miutes, I smelled something like burning wires. I walked into the garage from the family room to this awfull smell. I figure that a small animal curled up and died in the heater. It took a week or two for the smell to leave the family room.

Guys, thanks for the info... Ron

Dang that is bad. I had a 250,000 BTU unit and was using @ my friends shop. Well we did not have the door up enough and almost fell asleep for good and almost learned the hard way. It burnt up almost all of the oxygen in the shop. We were getting super tired and dizzy. Thank god we decided to call it a night @ 1:00 am.

For a small unit like this, the manual says to have at least 3 square feet open to the outside. With a big heater like yours, you would need to at least have a door open all the way...Ron

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1

run them outside

have the butt end of the heater outside of the room (outside doorway or window), so it's air intake is 100% fresh air, this maximizes the available heat and reduces co levels in the work area.

Good suggestion. Thanks... Ron

+1
    when i used diesel it gives me a wicked head acke.

we bought some blue flex duct for mine. mad a thing out of plywood and ran it from the window to the back of the heater this way its always sucking in fresh air and we don't have to leave any thing open. mine also had a temp gauge on it so when it hits that temp it allows fresh air to flow in while its off but heats the air as it comes in still. for a second precaution we have an carbon dioxide sensor in the room and boy is that thing ear piercing

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information