Ok folks, going to take a looong trip on the ski and I......

Want to make sure I check out everything I can before the trip from a mechanical standpoint.

We are going to run up Lake Superior about 170 miles each way, with fuel stops in between of course.

I have an 04' RXP with about 30? hours on it.

I replaced the zip ties on the bailers with gear clamps..........

I will go through and check the rest of the gear clamps that I can get to.

What else would you look at if you were going?
    Keep in mind that on Lake Superior, if something goes wrong mechanically with the ski, it can be potentially fatal if you are stuck somewhere out on the lake.

I am going with 3 others on this trip....

Make sure you have a VHF marine radio and/or cell phone in a small dry bag or waterproof container. Flare kit (I prefer the gun type over the handheld). GPS would be good also.

As far as maint. the usual of course, oil, fuel, new plugs wouldn't hurt, check your pump grease and all normal pre-ride checklist. Make sure you bring drinking water and food (not junk food).

and most important of all on long trips like this, FILE A FLOAT PLAN! That way, if you don't make it where you are going, they will automaticly come looking for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas
    Make sure you have a VHF marine radio and/or cell phone in a small dry bag or waterproof container. Flare kit (I prefer the gun type over the handheld). GPS would be good also.

As far as maint. the usual of course, oil, fuel, new plugs wouldn't hurt, check your pump grease and all normal pre-ride checklist. Make sure you bring drinking water and food (not junk food).

and most important of all on long trips like this, FILE A FLOAT PLAN! That way, if you don't make it where you are going, they will automaticly come looking for you.
    Thomas:

Got all the safety equipment covered. I had a 28' sea ray up on that lake for 15 years.

Water should not be a problem, it is the largest fresh water lake in the world. I had not thought of what I will bring for food though.......

Now I wish I had more storage space!!!

I do not see any grease fitting on the drive line on my RXP. Is there one?

I see blue grease between the SC and the engine, but I am told this is normal.

Thanks

+1
    The blue grease is normal.

Check the grease in your pump cone. It should be fine at only 30 hours, but if you pull the cone to inspect it you just assume change the grease.

that's correct there is no grease fitting on the drive line. The carbon seal is a "dry" seal.

I was refering to the grease inside the pump. Generally I only check this once a year, but when I know I will be far from home, I usually give it an extra once over for water intrusion.

Thread Information