GP1300R Rough Water Performance Advise

Ok.. Have had an 01 GPR and did some mods to it but could never get it to handle well in rough water when going to an aftermarket ride plate,grate and tabs back in 01. With some very simple mods (compression, 13/19, extended nozzle) and running the stock ride plate I could get 67.5 mph out of it on glass water in the super man position. This was sufficient since those glass conditions only happened once a month on the crowded lakes and rivers I ride.

I now have a new 05, as of last July, which is stock and runs a best of 66.4 mph in glass. I'd like to improve this by 2 or 3 mph if possible plus improving the hole shot and acceleration. Since I'm bogged down playing with my YFZ450 most of the time I don't want to get too involved with mods on my ski. I want to leave the engine completly stock without adding compression and be able to run marina gas if 75 miles downriver.

These are the typical ride conditions I'm faced with:
    2' to 3' foot cruiser wake and wind blown chop
    occasional 3' to 5' 40+ cruiser wake
    no glass running at all.

Have the aftermarket plates improved enough to offer hook up equal to a stock ride plate in rough water and still offer some potential in 2' chop/wake? I do have some old 01 Riva Trim tabs but don't know if they are worth while or not?? I don't want to be coming unhooked all the time and porposing like I did back in 01 with the Riva stuff ..

Also can you add a Dyna-fly prop and 87mm nozzle (a requirement per R&D website) with a box stock engine and turn adequate rpms while getting some accleration, rough water hook up and top speed improvements?

Would the jet works mod help acceleration on a box stock engine?

How would you guys set up my stocker for some improvements for my conditions keeping in mind of my situation?

The only way you are going to get good rough water hookup with any aftermarket plate is with LOTS of shims/washers.
    The Riva trim tabs will help with the rough water (dont blame them for the bounce from whatever aftermarket plate you had)
    Jetworks mod will definatly help your acceleration
    Prop and pump stuffer and toploader are manditory

+1
    With your conditions:
    3 deg nozzle
    stock rideplate
    R/D sponsons, or maybe some of Fernandos new carbon fiber sponsons
    2bar grate.
    14/20 dynafly is the prop of choice right now for 05/06.

Lot's of good work going on with the FI controller.
    Jetworks mod will work for you.

If this doesn't do it for you, space down your trim tabs 1mm at a time.

You might drop smooth water speeds but the ski will be incredibly planted in the rough.

+1
    Just follow Mark's advice (especially the rideplate and the XL 3 degree nozzle)

I have a 3 degree nozzle listed on ebay. (if you can't find it please let me know)

If you want to read some test results for some of this stuff - see my links at the bottom of my 1st post

http://rivaforums.com/eve/ubb.x/a/tp...4/m/9511019071

If you use the 87mm 3 degree nozzle with the Dynafly you will need an anticavitation cone to keep the pump stuffed, otherwise you will empty it in no time and loose hookup.

Quote Originally Posted by Fercho
    If you use the 87mm 3 degree nozzle with the Dynafly you will need an anticavitation cone to keep the pump stuffed, otherwise you will empty it in no time and loose hookup.
    what about with a 5 degree 87mm? Would a stock engine push the DynaFly with enough rpm to not load the engine too much? .. similar r's to stock prop and 85 mm nozzle?

+1
    I have used a stock Dynafly with stock GP1200R so with a 1300 you should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by philip_gpr
    I have used a stock Dynafly with stock GP1200R so with a 1300 you should be fine.
    What nozzle were you using and what rpms did you turn with the stock 1200 motor?

+1
    87 mm - 7120 at 1120 ft sea level

I spend most of my time testing my BB ski so I don't have many test results with the stock ski

but with the Dynafly impeller I think you could easily run it off the shelf on a stock 1300

I would also suggest you the 1300 85 mm nozzle with it - others have had good results with that nozzle on a stock ski with the Dynafly

maybe others will comment, I am not the only person using a Dynafly....

As far as I know my 05 should have the 85 mm nozzle from the factory. I had read that the 85mm mated with the 14/20 DynaFly loaded the engine too much and it was recommened that a 87mm be utlized.

This is quoted from the R&D site:

To properly install the R&D Ride Plate, or use the Solas 14/20 Dynafly Impeller, it will be necessary to install the R&D 87 mm 1300R Series Venturi Nozzle. Part # 162-13587. If the R&D 87 mm Venturi Nozzle is not used with the new Solas 14/20 Dynafly the result will be a much lower RPM and peak speed than posted. A box stock 05 GP 1300R with a Solas 14/20 Dynafly will have an RPM reading of approximately 6850

So my question is ... Is there any validity to this statement and if not why would R&D indicate these instructions?

Thread Information