Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2000 GP1200R starting Problem

New to the Yam GP1200R. Have a question with starting. Got this waverunner with a seized center cylinder for cheap. Engine was out. Had the cylinder reworked and put it all back together. Re-installed engine this weekend but I can't get it to start. It has spark, new gas and I bled the oil pump. It cranks but can get it to even try to start.

Seems like a fuel issue. Is there a fuel pump or does the cylinder vaccum pull gas from the tank?

I checked the gas filter and gas flows through. I even feed gas through the gas line going to carbs but still nothing. It has side draft carbs so I don't think they can gum up like carbs with bowls on them (typical motorcycle carb), so I didn't mess with them as they look complicated.

One more thing to add is that it beeps twice as soon as I hit the starter and the red warning light is on when it beeps, but turns off while still cranking. Is that normal when starting one of these GP1200s?

Any ideas on things to check.
    Last edited by orbit398; 11-30-2008 at 08:14 PM. Reason: added test

+1

Thumbs up Welcome to GH Forums..

Do you ride in salt water?? The carbs on a 1200 can definitely gum up..Unfortunately; I am redoing mine right now but I do a lot of wave jumping in saltwater..Last carb has the fuel pump but I do not think that is your prob. The more I think about it its sounds like a carb issue but I am know GURU like a lot of these guys so hopefully someone will chime in and have some suggestions...

I assume it was in salt water as I live in Houston/Galveston. Previous owner was running it when seized about 2 yrs ago. Local Yamaha deal took it apart and told him he needed a new motor. So it sat for a year apart. I got it and repaired it. I'll get some starter fluid tomorrow and see if I can spray in the intake thats buried in the front. If I get some starting action, I'd assume its a fuel/carb problem.

If I don't, guess I missed hooking up something some where.

The beeping could be low fuel or something else.....Try spraying starter fluid in the intakes and see if it starts. If not, than pull the spark plug wires, stick a plug in it, ground it on the head and see if it sparks. If it doesnt it is electrical. If it does than the problem is fuel.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by orbit398 View Post
    I assume it was in salt water as I live in Houston/Galveston. Previous owner was running it when seized about 2 yrs ago. Local Yamaha deal took it apart and told him he needed a new motor. So it sat for a year apart. I got it and repaired it. I'll get some starter fluid tomorrow and see if I can spray in the intake thats buried in the front. If I get some starting action, I'd assume its a fuel/carb problem.

If I don't, guess I missed hooking up something some where.
    If you can help it, don't put starter fluid in. Open your spark plugs and add a few squirts of gas into all 3 cylinders. Starter fluid tends to be bad if used in excess..I have seen it scuffed pistons because of the high temp it generates.

You check spark by removing one of the plug wires, remove plugs, reattach plugs to plug wires..then place the electrode against a grounding point on the engine " one of the exhaust bolts works nicely". Not sure if this is how checked it before.

Gas+spark = engine will crank...if it dies after the inital cranking...this could be your carbs needing a re-build. There are various threads directed to that option, if you have some engine savvy, you can do this yourself with a Mikuni re-build kit and metric tools.

If not, there are a couple of board members who re-build carbs for a minminal cost. And they do excellant work.

I have spark, that's no issue. I put 10 gals of gas in so the beep shouldn't be low fuel. For those of you that have one of these, when you first hit the starter button, is it normal for it to beep twice?

Questions
    1- does the gas line need to be bled somehow or should the cranking pull the gas from the tank. Reason I ask is I have noticed that it doesn't appear to have fuel coming into the fuel filter, thus not going to the carbs
    2 - do these side draft type carbs get gummed up? Being that no gas sits in the carbs (least I don't think so) what can get stuck or messed up?

+1
    Is the fuel selector knob turned to the on or reserve position?

I have had it in both spots. I even disconnected the fuel line on the outgoing side of the filter and pumped some gas down that line to the carbs via a tiny hand pump I have.

With the filter empty, I reconnected the fuel line and tried to crank the motor with not luck on starting. I checked the fuel filter again and it was still dry. So that confuses me too.

+1
    Welcome -

You sure you have the fuel lines on the correct way around ? If they are good then I suggest you take the carbs off and check inside. Remove the thin steel plate 1st(main, pilot, and fuel needle valve and seat) and the the other "pump side" to inspect the check valves and filters etc for sediment or corrosion, stuck N&S blocked jets maybe ????

If you are going to drop fuel into the cyls while cranking then use premix, if you only use gas and it does fire you will be oil free , plus if you have been cranking alot they are going to be really dry already

Just my 2cents - good luck

I assume the lines are correct. One had a good bend in the line which I assumed was to the gas inlet by the rear of the waverunner (closest to the back). I assumed that cause the line wraps back towards the front.

I will use pre-mix as suggested in the cylinders but I did lube each cylinder with lube as well as the rod bearings ect when putting it all back together.

It's just supposed to start, damn it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information