Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Warranty Opinions Please.

Hi. My 2006 GTX Limited warranty will run out this Christmas Day.

It had the original one year and then BRP gave an extra year free.

I can extend it for another two years for $700.

What do you all think ? Worth it ? Waste of money.

It averages out to $355 a year. I know if the super-charger blows up, it is a great investment !

But how problematic have these been ?

I'm inclined to buy the warranty, but would like some opinions ?

Thanks, Tim

+1
    If you have the OEM SC clutches still in your ski i would get them out ASAP...For around 100 dollars you can get new clutchs and your SC issue is solved..As far as other warrenty issues..I havent heard much of any except for the SC...

Back in '03 I bought a 3-year BRP warranty for $749, so I imagine that inflation has raised the price somewhat. It paid for oil pressure sensors and a complete '04 aluminum pump. So I guess I got my money out of it. I think it's worth the price for peace of mind.... Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Snoman View Post
    If you have the OEM SC clutches still in your ski i would get them out ASAP...For around 100 dollars you can get new clutchs and your SC issue is solved..As far as other warrenty issues..I havent heard much of any except for the SC...
    I still have the OEM SC Clutches. I have not swapped them out. I'm not sure how to go about that. Should I pull the SC out while it's layed up for the winter and ship it somewhere for it to be done?

Is it a job I can do myself ?

Is BRP swapping them out under warranty since they are putting in the Ceramics now ?

I know they will cover the repair if they do blow up under warranty, but I've read that some people go without their ski's for months while they are repaired.

Thanks, Tim

Quote Originally Posted by King_Of_Fun View Post
    Back in '03 I bought a 3-year BRP warranty for $749, so I imagine that inflation has raised the price somewhat. It paid for oil pressure sensors and a complete '04 aluminum pump. So I guess I got my money out of it. I think it's worth the price for peace of mind.... Ron
    Ron, the thing about extended warranties is that they a great when you need them, but always considered a total waste if you don't need them.

Same with any type of insurance.

I'm leaning on spending the money since a replacement if the SC goes boom the cost is $3,500.

I'd liek to hear more stories of how the warranty padi for itself.

Tim

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by pratzert View Post
    I still have the OEM SC Clutches. I have not swapped them out. I'm not sure how to go about that. Should I pull the SC out while it's layed up for the winter and ship it somewhere for it to be done?

Yes that would be a great idea while shes laid up for the winter..
    If you are mechanicaly incline then yes you can change them out yourself..you would need to purchase the tools also to do this type of job..If you are If-y about it though you can send it to Jerry..He will replace the clutches and set the slip...

Is it a job I can do myself ?

If you are mechanicaly incline then yes you can definatly do tis yourself.You would just have to get the tools to do this type of job..

Is BRP swapping them out under warranty since they are putting in the Ceramics now ?

Nope unfortionatly

I know they will cover the repair if they do blow up under warranty, but I've read that some people go without their ski's for months while they are repaired.

Yes they do..and depending on the dealer they do a half ass job and dont get all the ceramics out...Thus down the road causing the engine to blow

Thanks, Tim

+1
    Most definitely, pull your SC and send it to Jerry. You could even have him drop in a different impellor at the same time . For peace of mind that would be smarter then even the warranty. How many hours are on you ski now?

Quote Originally Posted by SeaGoat View Post
    Most definitely, pull your SC and send it to Jerry. You could even have him drop in a different impellor at the same time . For peace of mind that would be smarter then even the warranty. How many hours are on you ski now?
    I think it's only around 50 hours right now.

Next ?

How hard is it to pull the Super Charger ?

And when you say the impeller, are you talking about the drive tunnel impeller/prop? Or is there an impeller in the Super Charger?

Sorry for the ignorance... but I dont' know much at all about the ski, in spite of having a boat and working on the engine for many years.

Thanks for your help guys !

Tim

+1
    Not a problem pratzert. Yes, there is an impellor blade in the supercharger that spins up to about 46,00-48,000 rpms to produce the boost pressure. There are quite a few aftermarket impellor blades and/or complete superchargers that will raise your boost and therefor your horsepower. Your year model ski had ceramic clutch washers installed by the factory and they can fail as early as 1-2 hours of use or higher. When they break they produce a fine ceramic dust that gets spread throughout your engine via the oil. This dust will destroy the engine and requires that it be totally disassembled and painstakingly cleaned to remove it all. Some people have had dealerships do a poor job of cleaning the engine and the engine will only last a few minutes to an hour after the repair. I have a friend that had this happen to his 07 RXT at 30 hours. The engine made it about 1 mile after the warranty repair was done. There are instruction threads in here on how to remove your supercharger and it's very easy.(It's at the rear of the engine down near the floor of the ski). The best thing to do is to send it to Jerry and have him put new metal washers in it and replace the bearings and check the slip moment (the amount of force required to make the clutch washers slip). Your ceramic washers will fail. Guaranteed! Good luck.
    P.S. In 08 Seadoo finally went to metal washers.

Quote Originally Posted by SeaGoat View Post
    Not a problem pratzert. Yes, there is an impellor blade in the supercharger that spins up to about 46,00-48,000 rpms to produce the boost pressure. There are quite a few aftermarket impellor blades and/or complete superchargers that will raise your boost and therefor your horsepower. Your year model ski had ceramic clutch washers installed by the factory and they can fail as early as 1-2 hours of use or higher. When they break they produce a fine ceramic dust that gets spread throughout your engine via the oil. This dust will destroy the engine and requires that it be totally disassembled and painstakingly cleaned to remove it all. Some people have had dealerships do a poor job of cleaning the engine and the engine will only last a few minutes to an hour after the repair. I have a friend that had this happen to his 07 RXT at 30 hours. The engine made it about 1 mile after the warranty repair was done. There are instruction threads in here on how to remove your supercharger and it's very easy.(It's at the rear of the engine down near the floor of the ski). The best thing to do is to send it to Jerry and have him put new metal washers in it and replace the bearings and check the slip moment (the amount of force required to make the clutch washers slip). Your ceramic washers will fail. Guaranteed! Good luck.
    P.S. In 08 Seadoo finally went to metal washers.
    SeaGoat,

Thanks a ton for all the info.... I'll have to put pulling the SC from the Ski on my "To Do" list... prolly after Xmas, but I'll work on it.

Sounds like a little work now, is going to save a lot of headache later.

Two things: 1.) Will this void my Warranty ?
    2.) How much will it cost ( approx.) ?

Thanks again.

Tim

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information